Having troubles in shepparton receiving anything!

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
BevlyJ

Re: Having troubles in shepparton receiving anything!

Post by BevlyJ »

Those were given to me by someone who lives in Shepparton & he quite regularly picks up traffic.
UBCD396XT
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Comint wrote:I don't expect to receive a reliable signal ( steady "full quieting") over about 12 km, when using a scanner with its supplied antenna.

Comint

this is false i can pick up signals over 50km away with no prob with my portable scanner with its original rubber ducky depends on terrain and what brand of scanner.
BevlyJ

Post by BevlyJ »

Vkc Police, I have to agree, a few people I know can pick up freqs. without an external airel. Only one friend of mine uses the external. On my old analogue Uniden I picked up everything I wanted without an external also. :D
UBCD396XT
spectreman

Post by spectreman »

Hi guys.
You will definately hear the local Shep police on 164.0375. Just depends how often you monitor & for how long.
Friday & Saturday nights are usually busy ! The Shep police are definately not on UHF, are VHF only.
As for the reception range of scanners, the 12km range mentioned applies to simplex comms, but you will recieve signals from repeater sites from much further away, due to the repeaters usually being well elevated & transmitting higher powered signals. The Shep police freq mentioned actually originates from a repeater site on top of Mt Wombat, 60kms away, line of sight. I listen to all the freqs I mentioned with no external antenna either, just the small scanner whip.
Cheers, Chris.
BevlyJ

Post by BevlyJ »

Thanks Chris will have to keep it on longer as I have that frequency. :D
UBCD396XT
Comint

Post by Comint »

spectreman wrote:You will definately hear the local Shep police on 164.0375.
. . . .
The Shep police freq mentioned actually originates from a repeater site on top of Mt Wombat, 60kms away, line of sight. I listen to all the freqs I mentioned with no external antenna either, just the small scanner whip.
Might be only 6o kms from Shepperton, but more like 85 kms for a listener "about 35 kms North of Shepparton".

And the ACMA Database actually shows 164.0375 MHz to be on the Observation Tower, Maude Street, Shepparton.

--
Comint