IC 6023 NO SIGNAL

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Amaroc

IC 6023 NO SIGNAL

Post by Amaroc »

Hi guys a total newbie to this and really would appreciate a little help.

Have just had installed the 6023 a great unit by all counts and reports and VERY eager to play with it.

However I am damned if I can get it to work.
I can get no signal at all, yes the aerial is in but in saying that it is showing no level just the aerial symbol, power level is LOW. When I go into scan nothing happens the little symbol flashes but zip. Even tuned to the halfwit channel 40, nothing at all.

The auto Electrician just put it in but did not test (guess he does not how too ) lol

The instruction manual is very vague, in telling you to push these buttons but it does not tell you which button???
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/ ... Manual.pdf

Ok so a total dummy here but hell could do with some advise from you guys.

Thanks
Last edited by Amaroc on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 VW Amarok Ultimate: Pegasus Canopy (from pjs4x4.com.au) ARB Bullbar: Kaymar wrap around rear bullbar, Twin Drawers (sliding floors): Korr 80watt Spots : 50 mm Bilstein suspension lift: Under Carriage protection: Sunroof: 3M Crystalline tint, Evo Corse 16 wheels with MT ATZ P3.......... ICOM 400pro and anything else I can throw on :D
Tez
peteramjet

Re: IC 6023 NO SIGNAL

Post by peteramjet »

Amorac, as I posted in your other thread, the Icom 6023 is not a UHF CB but a commercial two-way radio. As such it may not be programmed with CB channels, which may explain why you can't hear anything.
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Interesting I bought it from Doug of Lakecomm from the 4x4 show recently. Told him what I wanted it for ie travelling around Oz etc he assured me this was one of the best on the market which i am sure it is and I certainly trust him
http://lakecomm.com.au/uhf.html
2014 VW Amarok Ultimate: Pegasus Canopy (from pjs4x4.com.au) ARB Bullbar: Kaymar wrap around rear bullbar, Twin Drawers (sliding floors): Korr 80watt Spots : 50 mm Bilstein suspension lift: Under Carriage protection: Sunroof: 3M Crystalline tint, Evo Corse 16 wheels with MT ATZ P3.......... ICOM 400pro and anything else I can throw on :D
Tez
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Amaroc wrote:...he assured me this was one of the best on the market which i am sure it is and I certainly trust him.
I'd say he was more likely trying to sell you a more expensive radio 8) . Check the offical Icom website, not the website which he put together:

- Icom UHF CB's:
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/uhf/uhf.html
- Icom commercial radios:
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/lmr/lmr.html

The 6023H is a commercial radio that is not intended for UHF CB use.

If you want an Icom CB that will definitely do the correct channels (the 80 chan plan) you'd be better off grabbing an IC400PRO or an IC440N.
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Thanks guys for your advise. I am going to have to make the trip to Lake Mac to Doug tomorrow to get this sorted. I will be pissed if none of this programming has been done.

Yes it is commercial grade and he assured me it has been programmed and limited. Was also told on my other forum the mic holder might have to be earhed for it to work !!!!!

Will let you know
Tez
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Amaroc wrote:Yes it is commercial grade and he assured me it has been programmed and limited.
Mate the 400PRO is essentially the same radio, just a legal UHF CB version. The 400PRO is commercial grade and has the same receiver sensitivity, despite your dealers website saying the 6023 is better using it's own 'P' rating - the real specs are all on the Icom website for all to see.

If you need a commercial radio for work channels then no worries, but they shouldn't (legally can't) be used on CB unless approved. That is why no other dealers sell this radio as a CB.

If you want access to the correct UHF CB 80 channel plan you will be better swapping it for the CB version - the same radio, legal to use, for a better price. There is absolutely NO benefit in using the 6023.

Either way I hope you get it sorted!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Yes, I agree with peteramjet.

I personally would be going back to your dealer, asking them to swap out the unit for the 400Pro and pocketing the difference in $$$.

For general 4x4 and convoy driving, there is no benefit to the 6023 over the 400Pro.

Fingers crossed your are able to fix the problem easily and get on the air soon.

Just my 1c worth :)
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Hey guys problem solved it was when the auto electrician installed it he must have got a few buttons in a flume sequence and turned on CTCSS thereby rendering useless unless someone else. Was on that private channel.

Now I can hear but another question why do I get so many drop outs or broken conversations just seem to get a lot stuff that can't be understood.

Forgive my ignorance on all this
Tez
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Amaroc wrote:Hey guys problem solved it was when the auto electrician installed it he must have got a few buttons in a flume sequence and turned on CTCSS thereby rendering useless unless someone else. Was on that private channel.

Now I can hear but another question why do I get so many drop outs or broken conversations just seem to get a lot stuff that can't be understood.

Forgive my ignorance on all this
Maybe the squelch setting needs adjusting
"YOUNGN"
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Evening gents,

On the way home I forget to ask him about the aerials I have RFI one for CB the other for 3G turns out my auto guy once again got the aerials mixed up to so on the road I am getting bits of signal a LOT of squelch and not being able to understand most of it. Will try it out again later in the meantime put the little whip RFI CDQ34 on for city use and now getting nothing again even when doing a scan. Will test it out later at work with someone that has a CB as well.

Told him about my concerns expressed here on the forum it being a commercial unit, he said yes it is but has been bought down to met the specs for UHF CB 5 watt but using all the better internals etc ................

Anyway sorta works, just another toy to play with until I learn the tricks.

Tez :)
Tez
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Might have to find another auto sparky :)

Sounds like your squelch needs to be adjusted. If you are getting ALOT of "hash" might need to bump up your squelch. If you are not hearing anything - trying lowering your squelch

Glad to hear your setup is working and was an easy fix
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

If I knew where to do this on it I would seems a very complex unit .........

Phantom has given me some other advise to check up on regarding the unit so will keep you all posted. as well as Peteramjet

Tez :)
Tez
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

UPDATE

Yesterday wrote to ICOM , asking them if this was legal to use as a 80Ch UHF CB. They replied it is NO LONGER it was when it was a 40Ch but since upgrading to 80 they have yet to seek licence from ACMA to operate on the 80 UHF\CB.

Apparently they phoned Doug from Lakeview Communications and told him so, he phoned me today asking me to return it for the 400PRO, he will also refund me the difference.

All is well that ends well.

Thank everyone for you support now just hope I can figure out how to use the bloody thing :)
Tez
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Amaroc wrote:UPDATE

Yesterday wrote to ICOM , asking them if this was legal to use as a 80Ch UHF CB. They replied it is NO LONGER it was when it was a 40Ch but since upgrading to 80 they have yet to seek licence from ACMA to operate on the 80 UHF\CB.

Apparently they phoned Doug from Lakeview Communications and told him so, he phoned me today asking me to return it for the 400PRO, he will also refund me the difference.

All is well that ends well.

Thank everyone for you support now just hope I can figure out how to use the bloody thing :)
Good to hear. Interesting about the approval, as the 40ch sets won't be 'outlawed' until 2017, it should still be fine (legal) to use (with 40ch band plan @ 5w) if it has been approved for 40ch UHF CB use. Hopefully by that time the 80ch approval will get finalised.

Still, the 400pro will probably suit you better if it's primarily for use as a UHF CB radio, as it will allow you to (legally) run the full 80 channels now, but still have most of the capability of the F6023 should the need arise in the future for privately licenced or RX-only frequencies.
"YOUNGN"
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

I have a 6023 here i use for commerical work plus have cb programmed to 5 watts only , 400pro is best suited for those wanting a good uhfcb radio
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Amaroc wrote:Apparently they phoned Doug from Lakeview Communications and told him so, he phoned me today asking me to return it for the 400PRO, he will also refund me the difference.
A good result Amorac - glad to hear it got sorted. Nothing annoys me more than so called 'professionals', who should know better, taking advantage of new-comers to a hobby.

I also see the website that you bought the radio from has modified their CB page to remove non-approved radios (including the 6023), no doubt after the blasting from Icom. Pity the site is still making certain claims about a 'P-tick' rating :roll:
youngn wrote:Interesting about the approval, as the 40ch sets won't be 'outlawed' until 2017, it should still be fine (legal) to use (with 40ch band plan @ 5w) if it has been approved for 40ch UHF CB use. Hopefully by that time the 80ch approval will get finalised.
The old 40 channel 'standard' was superseded by the new 80 channel 'standard' officially around 2011/2012. Radios programmed prior to the new standard taking effect are still allowed to be used until the cut off date (around 2017), but radios produced and/or programmed after the new standard came in must comply with the new standard (being the 80 channel plan). Icom never sought approval (and I doubt they will) for the 80 channel 'standard', so these radios cannot be used. Clear as mud no doubt. :D
fire_rescue wrote:I have a 6023 here i use for commerical work plus have cb programmed to 5 watts only...
Which is still likely non-compliant and illegal. 5w/10w/25w makes no difference...
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

peteramjet wrote:
youngn wrote:Interesting about the approval, as the 40ch sets won't be 'outlawed' until 2017, it should still be fine (legal) to use (with 40ch band plan @ 5w) if it has been approved for 40ch UHF CB use. Hopefully by that time the 80ch approval will get finalised.
The old 40 channel 'standard' was superseded by the new 80 channel 'standard' officially around 2011/2012. Radios programmed prior to the new standard taking effect are still allowed to be used until the cut off date (around 2017), but radios produced and/or programmed after the new standard came in must comply with the new standard (being the 80 channel plan). Icom never sought approval (and I doubt they will) for the 80 channel 'standard', so these radios cannot be used. Clear as mud no doubt. :D
fire_rescue wrote:I have a 6023 here i use for commerical work plus have cb programmed to 5 watts only...
Which is still likely non-compliant and illegal. 5w/10w/25w makes no difference...
Now this is just amusing :lol:
"YOUNGN"
Amaroc

Post by Amaroc »

Hey guys got the ICOM 400 Pro today put it in all connected, guess what once again no sound. Mute condition is off CTSS is OFF have it on full scan but not a squeak.

Here is the setting
ICOM 400 pro.JPG
I did phone Doug and asked him should I do anything special he said no just plug it all in and it will work. Not sure if it is me or what. I do not have anyone around here either to test it out on a channel by channel basis.

Am I missing something.

Oh yeah when I got it CTSS was on and set to 670 as I said now turned this off

Tez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tez
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Is it possible that no one is talking while you have it on ?

Can you hear any repeater tail on any local repeaters if any in your area ?

Have you got a scanner to test transmissions of your radio ?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

More finger trouble...
Antenna connected? Can you TX? Someone hear your transmission?
Don't forget channel 1-8 typically are repeater channels. Best to try all test transmission on a simplex channel (eg ch10)

Make sure CTCSS and/or DCS is off
Can you adjust the squelch? Try and disable the squelch and see if you can hear anything or a test transmission from a friend