DAB

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
brianWE

DAB

Post by brianWE »

I live in the Northern Rivers Region of NSW.
I listen to a lot of the ABC's programming.

I do get a bit disappointed when I am told that, if I wish to follow a program, I should go to a digital station.
Not possible.
Capital cities seem to have owned DAB for some time.
There doesn't seem to be any plan to expand the service to the regions.

I have been in touch with my local member who said he went to Malcolm Turnbull who says that there is a shortage of frequencies outside of the capital cities!!!

I'm not an expert but that sounds a bit strange.

Member has not responded to my query about future plans...maybe there aren't any.

I have to admit that the member has told me I can find this programming on the Web..
Cool...as long as I have my laptop with me.

Smartphones?
Not me.

Phones are for phone calls.
:?
Phil
Administrator

Re: DAB

Post by Phil »

Digital Radio Plus Website wrote:Rollout of digital radio services outside of metropolitan areas is still to be negotiated with the Federal Government.
Please contact your local Federal member or keep checking this site for updates.
Licence areas adjacent to the 5 launch cities may receive some overspill digital radio signals. Please be aware that these digital signals may cease or become patchy in the future as the signals are constantly refined and fine-tuned.
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
pfdotn

Post by pfdotn »

I actually thoroughly enjoy listening to the ABC on AM here. In fact, I'd rather listen to ABC Brisbane (AM) over ABC Gold Coast (FM).

DAB? Yeech, no thanks.
Comint

Post by Comint »

brianWE wrote:I have been in touch with my local member who said he went to Malcolm Turnbull who says that there is a shortage of frequencies outside of the capital cities!!!
Attached is a list of the DAB frequencies to be used in Australia (found on the ACMA website).
DAB_Frequency_Blocks_2013.pdf
My understanding is that the DAB signals are multiplexed with the VHF Digital TV signal, and as most Rural TV is now on UHF, they may have to look at alternative means of providing the service in Rural areas.

--
Comint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

Could be.
Bothers me that no one in authority wants to tell us what is going on.