Traffic Response Units

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
Stretch
Forum Manager

Traffic Response Units

Post by Stretch »

How much power do the traffic response units have in terms of making drivers move and performing illegal driving actions to get to an accident/breakdown.

Reason I ask is there was a breakdown south bound on the M1 and traffic was banked right back (I was heading north bound) and the traffic response unit had all his lights going (dancing headlights etc (looks very similar light set up to the emergency services)) and he was flooring it down the shoulder of the motorway and the cars were moving out of his way. They actually allowed to do that or is it just accepted by the motorists??
Mitch Rogers
Air 495

Re: Traffic Response Units

Post by Air 495 »

Hello Mitch,

I am no expert, but I used to be in the state emergency service which is similar laws re driving and we could do what we liked as long as it was safe to do so, even if it meant going on the wrong side of the road. It was a while ago though. All we couldnt do was go through a train level crossing with gates down even if no train was visible. Cheers Air 495
AIR 495

UNIDEN UBCD 396 T
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

Last edited by alinco21 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie28

Post by bonnie28 »

We should get photo's of this. It would help us all. Any photo's of fie stations would grately help.
TEPS-04
Newly Registered Users

Post by TEPS-04 »

Power???.What do you mean , POWER FOR WHAT???...
Police, Fire, Ambulance , have power for Life and Property...etc...
Police have the power to enforce road rules, and issue infrigments etc .
Road Authority have plenty of Power under various road acts. ...
section 75 and 76 of the act...
You will find that maybe QLD have possibly something simmillar or this.And that is legislation..

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/xref/ ... 0&nohits=y

Part 6 Miscellanious...
OIC_Napster

Post by OIC_Napster »

I am in the SES and I was told we have no power what so ever, even under amber flashing lights. Maybe block a road if it's to dangerous but no speeding, running red lights etc

I would be lead to believe any vehicle using amber flashing lights have no authority to disobey the road rules
TEPS-04
Newly Registered Users

Post by TEPS-04 »

I would guess they would be allowed to go down the break down lane,and that is a guess.I was, under yellows when we had them in this state before we got red and blue and sirens.Give it time they may get red and blue through parliament for them if they haven't all ready done so...