Scanning Mobile phones

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
peanut_finger
Newly Registered Users

Scanning Mobile phones

Post by peanut_finger »

A friend of mine use to scan mobile phones with his uniden bearcat scanner. It brought us many nights of pure entertainment. Then the phone companies switched from Analogue to digital. Is it still possible to scan digital mobile phones?
Stretch
Forum Manager

Re: Scanning Mobile phones

Post by Stretch »

Wouldn't there be some sort encyption on them now?
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

Stretch wrote:Wouldn't there be some sort encyption on them now?
Seeing there are NO scanners available that will monitor the various Digital formats used for Cellular telephones, it seems to be an irrelevant question.

However, I'm sure that most, if not all, of them, have some form of encryption. An early form of cypher used was, from memory, called A5/2, which was regularly cracked.

--
Comint

Edit: Fixed typo.
Last edited by Comint on Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
780xlt
Newly Registered Users

Post by 780xlt »

There are still thousands of analogue phones used today and still sold.
On a good night in my area I can pick up around ten different locations.
These are the simple el cheapo 'Kmart' and discount store types that use a simple analogue hand piece to base signal around the 30Mhz range... They still make up around 25% of the phone market - according to latest figures I read not only a month ago... even some 'encrypted' ones can still be unscrambled... I had a couple Alinco's that did it within minutes...
I recently had a radio station do a live broadcast from my place of work (electrical retailer) - their tech guy was telling me about how secure the transmission was as it had its own internet connection - blah blah blah... but I noticed the DJ was walking around with his wireless mic - I went back to my desk and pulled out my trusty Uniden scanner and scanned the 700 range and BINGO! Clear as a bell I picked him up chating to the radio station while he was off the air.. drooling about 'How hot our cashier was'... I casualy walked over to him after he put the mic down and took off his head set.. and said 'If you like her so much ask her out..' ...he looked dumbfounded as if he had read his mind...
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

The GSM digital network has many layers of encryption which is quite impressive.
So my answer to you would be no, not a digital network anyway. Mind you, ANY sort of phone calls (even on a dial-out trunked network) for example is illegal.

Cheers
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
878ROB

Post by 878ROB »

the 30mhz range will be older cordless landline phones, not mobiles, i often here 1 person in my area using 1 regulary, boring at bat shit to listen to as shes an old 1. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
878 ROMEO OSCAR BRAVO Bleeding through a television near you!
Kevaclone

Post by Kevaclone »

Used to be very interesting many years ago, sitting up on Bartley's at Ascot(Brisbane) and listening to all the bored rich housewives, but then the digital cordless phones came out and only the poorer types would have those, no where near as interesting

problem was there are only 10 channels allocated for these and an area with 100 of them going at once was at times difficult
ScannerEars

Post by ScannerEars »

Its going that way all the time now. The way things are going, we'll soon be left with expensive paperweights. :(
Uniden BCD396T - BCXLT200 - SANGEAN 909 SW - Airnav RadarBox