Fire Rescue Victoria

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Boort8720

Fire Rescue Victoria

Post by Boort8720 »

Hi all,

As you're all probably aware, CFA career firefighters and MFB are merging to create Fire Rescue Victoria. This is scheduled to occur on the 1st of July.

I am just wondering if anyone knows whether FRV will have their own allocation on the MMR/RMR or whether the existing CFA/MFB channels will be used? It is possibly too early to tell at this point.

Regards,
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52
X-Firey

Re: Fire Rescue Victoria

Post by X-Firey »

I think it is too early to tell just yet but I envisage not a whole lot will change at least not initially.
Boort8720

Post by Boort8720 »

Thanks X-Firey. I reckon you're on the money. The infrastructure and the channels are there. And I suppose it would be good for places like Mildura, Bendigo, Ballarat etc. to be able to communicate with their supporting brigades anyway.

Regards,
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52
madmarto

Post by madmarto »

From what I've read and been told FRV officers will be seconded to the CFA, driving CFA vehicles so from the public's point of view it's operations as normal. I don't see the radio allocations changing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Uniden UBCD396XT with UBC-RH96 remote head in the car; Uniden UBC73XLT (PDW), UBC396XT and UBCD436-PT at home.
ambo000

Post by ambo000 »

Don't they have radios for both systems in all trucks for both services? Obviously combining makes the most sense and I have heard ESTA referring to RMR and MMR as VMR (Vic Mobile Radio - both systems combined). But then AV is still on RAVNET. Who knows! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

CFA appliances have a Tait VHF mobile radio for RMR and also carry portables for the MMR for comms with the MFB.
The MFB now have dual band mobile radios and portables.
Some may notice the MFB are currently using some of the old CFA UHF portables at the moment (Radio IDs 400####).
I believe that they have had some issues with the new ones (Microphone and Duress Button).
griffonboi

Post by griffonboi »

Hey guys I've heard a new false alarm code 999 being given in wordbacks for some callouts lately, any ideas what it could mean?
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Code 999 is used during times of Industrial Action by UFU members.

As you'd be aware a False Alarm Code is given at times of word-back in order to categorise a reason for the false alarm, some of those False Alarm codes are chargeable and the property owner will subsequently receive an invoice so too speak for the Brigades attendance.

However during times of industrial action UFU members obviously won't stop attending calls but will stop giving False Alarm codes in their word-back, meaning FRV can not issue an invoice as a determination of call reason has not been advised, meaning no incoming $$$$ for FRV from call attendances. It hurts them in their bank account so too speak.

Firecom Operators (ESTA) however need a number usually in order to complete elements of the job on their end, so to keep them happy Firefighters will generally say 'Code 999' so they have something to put in and can close off the job.