Two receivers?

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
alan22

Two receivers?

Post by alan22 »

I always assumed that a trunking scanner had two receivers. One to listen to the control frequency of a site, and the other to listen to whatever voice frequency that had been allocated by the control frequency. I also assumed that during conversation, the voice frequencies would jump around for each over. Re my first assumption I have seen opinions that there is only one receiver which switches onto the allocated voice freq. and then instantly reverts to the control freq. each time an over ceases. This seems less likely to me. Perhaps it differs re scanner being considered (cheap ones have 1 RX and more expensive have 2?). I am thinking primarily of the 436 but would like to have general answer. Perhaps someone has the authoritative answers to this.
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Re: Two receivers?

Post by Kazzaw »

I don't think I've come across scanners that have 2 receivers. The time delay for the scanner to detect the end of conversation and listen to the control channel for the next channel grant is usually minimal