Make Up Scanner Case - December 2017

Brag about your radio and scanner (home, mobile, work, handheld) installations here, post photos and give us the specifications of each device
tanger32au

Make Up Scanner Case - December 2017

Post by tanger32au »

I was at Kmart the other night when I noticed some make up cases on sale, while the make up didn't interest me, the case it was in did, being a good size for a new radio case. I purchased the case for $15, my wife got the make up and I kept the case.

Last night I sat down and set this up. The top inside of the lid had a mirror, I covered this with some hazard tape. The four clips in the top to hold make up brushes are great for instead holding my aerials. The bottom section holds my UBCD396XT in some foam I cut to size with enough room for my ear phones, belt clip, AC charger and serial programming cables to also be easily carried. I added an extra elastic strap to help keep it closed, the latch is not the best and I don't want to trust it with my expensive radio.

Overall this case works well and is a good size for me to carry around while not being too small or too big.

Photos: http://thegeekyradioenthusiast.blogspot ... -2017.html
tanger32au

Re: Make Up Scanner Case - December 2017

Post by tanger32au »

Back in early December 2017 I shared the details of my "Make Up Scanner Case". This was purchased for $15 from my local Kmart. I set it up for my radio use and this worked well. I did find over the Christmas break when I was out and about with it more, undertaking portable scanning sessions that it was a bit of a pain having to removal the aerial every time before packing my UBCD396XT away or getting it out to use. This also meant that I could not leave my scanner in it running for logging purposes which is something I have started to do more of late.

Based on this I switched back to my stealth scanner bag for a couple of weeks, while it allowed me to leave the aerial on my scanner for logging and storage, I was not 100% happy with it. Due to this I decided to try and improve my make up scanner case. I sourced a new piece of foam and after testing a few ideas I decided on a new layout. This places my radio on the side and gives me more space for my accessories which I have sorted, now only carrying what I need day to day. I have a couple of more aerials now so these live in the top and my portable scanner stand is strapped to the top.

This now works much better for me and I am keen to take it out for more portable sessions in the future.

Updated photos can be found here: http://thegeekyradioenthusiast.blogspot ... -2017.html