Is It worth upgrading to a DMR Scanner?

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
scannerman

Is It worth upgrading to a DMR Scanner?

Post by scannerman »

Hi Guys just wondering if any of you out there have the pro voice update for the 436hp and is it worth it?

what can i expect to be able to hear in Victoria on DMR and is most of it encrypted?

Cheers
novaboy032

Re: Is It worth upgrading to a DMR Scanner?

Post by novaboy032 »

I mostly listen to the orion network but there's lots of other DMR in melbourne very worth while getting the update

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 »

I suspect Melbourne would be much the same as what is happening in Sydney and the rest of Australia, as Businesses and even some local government users are updating radio systems that are at end of life they are moving to DMR or NXDN trunking or conventional. The take up of DMR in particular is very popular. So yes DMR is a worthwhile upgrade for the scanning enthusiast. But don't forget if you want to listen from home a SDR or two and DSD+ Software works very well for digital voice at a fraction of the cost.

Regards

Kev.
railscan

Post by railscan »

scannerman wrote:Hi Guys just wondering if any of you out there have the pro voice update for the 436hp and is it worth it? what can i expect to be able to hear in Victoria on DMR and is most of it encrypted? Cheers
The Pro Voice update is effectively useless on mainland Australia, so the answer is no. Don't confuse Pro Voice and DMR as they are two entirely different beasts.

R
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

I have a uniden 436hp but I know nothing about provoice or DMR I'd like to buy the new model of the uniden 436 but living in the country I might hold of for a bit would love to get back into rail scanning. Notnsure if you can still monitor trains other than vline local