Monitor MFB

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
xtl-kindaguy

Monitor MFB

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Hi, Im new to the scanner and want to monitor MFB, I have all talk groups and sites programmed What talk group do I use in Vic to listen to MFB VKN8?
Pumper_50

Re: Monitor MFB

Post by Pumper_50 »

You said you have the talkgroups, then ask for the talkgroups?

Anyhow try these: https://vicradiozone.com/fire/metropoli ... e-brigade/

Keep in mind not all MMR Network sites automatically carry MFB TGID's so make sure you listen via a site most likely to carry their traffic, such as a CBD site tower if you can.

https://vicradiozone.com/government-net ... ork/sites/

Some big changes looming for MMR in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Pumper_50 wrote:You said you have the talkgroups, then ask for the talkgroups?

Anyhow try these: https://vicradiozone.com/fire/metropoli ... e-brigade/

Keep in mind not all MMR Network sites automatically carry MFB TGID's so make sure you listen via a site most likely to carry their traffic, such as a CBD site tower if you can.

https://vicradiozone.com/government-net ... ork/sites/

Some big changes looming for MMR in the future.

I have got the file from your site and loaded it in my 436-pt and still cannot receive MFB. Do Mt St Leonard or Mt Dandenong carry MFB talk groups? as they are the closest to where I am located.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

I just actually checked the file and some of the system towers are set to 'AVOID'.

Open up your file in Sentinel and click on 'MFB MMR'. You should then see the components that make up the MFB. Under all the sites you should see some are black text and some are red text. The sites with red text are ones your scanner are currently avoiding (effectively locked out).

Check to make sure the system towers you're interested in are not set to AVOID. If they are right click on them and then click on 'CLEAR AVOID'.

You should get some MFB traffic off Mt Dandenong / Ferny Creek. At the very least Southern and Eastern Districts I'd say. Can you get Ambulance Victoria traffic at all off those towers?
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Thanks for your reply, I have un Avoided all Towers and have received a little VKN8 with an external antenna! Hopefully my NA-701 will arrive today! Also I receive all AV MMR.

Cheers
Exceler8r

Post by Exceler8r »

Hey guys, I am also not receiving any MFB traffic

Even when my brigade were doing radio tests on our MMR radios to VKN8, I heard nothing at all.

I have checked and I have NO avoids. Is there any way I can upload my file for you guys to check?

Cheers.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Exceler8r wrote:Hey guys, I am also not receiving any MFB traffic

Even when my brigade were doing radio tests on our MMR radios to VKN8, I heard nothing at all.

I have checked and I have NO avoids. Is there any way I can upload my file for you guys to check?

Cheers.
What site was your scanner monitoring the MMR on?

What site was your Brigades radios accessing the MMR on?

If they were different sites it may be the reason.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Exceler8r

Post by Exceler8r »

I have the scanner monitoring ALL sites.

Not sure what site the brigade's MMR radios access.

I'm hoping to see if there is any issues with the setup on my scanner.

I am literally hearing NO MFB but getting alot of AV traffic which all have the same sites.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

It might be monitoring all sites BUT not all sites immediately carry MFB traffic.

The other thing to consider depending on settings is once your scanner locks on to a Control Channel for a site it might be staying on that one site, and if said site isn't carrying MFB traffic at the time you won't hear anything.

What area are you in and what site is your scanner locking on to?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Exceler8r

Post by Exceler8r »

I'm in the Wyndham area and my scanner mainly locks onto Mt Blackwood for MMR AV traffic.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Mount Blackwood in most cases should give you MFB Western and Northern traffic (they're patched except during major event). But not always, depends on what rdios are registered to it and what TGID said radio is on.

Can you get the CBD Simulcast on 420.0125MHz (0164h-0101).

That site carries the best range of TGID's in use given its coverage and location and there is pretty much always MMR radios registered to it on a broad range of TGID's thus opening up the ability to monitor via your scanner.

Exceler8r

Post by Exceler8r »

Ok, well right there was certainly a problem for me. For some reason, my scanner lost site 101, so I've just re-added that with the primary frequency and 2 alternative frequencies. Could that have caused me not hearing anything at all?
I'm still not hearing anything (provided there is actual MFB chatter happening at the time I'm scanning) however I'll keep you updated if that changes.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

When you sit on Site 0101 (the 420.0125 freq) can you see a data signal?

Might pay to check you haven't locked out the group holding your MFB TGIDs also.

Exceler8r

Post by Exceler8r »

Pumper_50: So I managed to receive transmissions this morning thanks to two things, firstly there was a fire in Laverton, so that meant radio traffic. Secondly, it turns out that I don't receive very good MMR data at my home, however I received pretty clear transmission inside my car using an on-glass antenna I recently picked up.

I received some transmission from site 204 - Laverton. However most of the transmission was being received from site 101 - CBD Simulcast.

A big thank you to you for making me look at site 101 which I had mistakenly forgot to re-add to my database after cleaning it up a little.

I knew that I wasn't avoiding anything, so that's what got me so puzzled.

Thanks again.
Xtl05

Post by Xtl05 »

Scanner are shit for mfb and ambos they change like all the time get a Motorola and a proper programmer never have a problem again million dollar question is it legal I don't no haven't tried it if any one does let Me no cheers
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Xtl05 wrote:Scanner are shit for mfb and ambos they change like all the time get a Motorola and a proper programmer never have a problem again million dollar question is it legal I don't no haven't tried it if any one does let Me no cheers
What do you mean 'they change like all the time'?

Do you mean the frequencies? That is called trunking my friend and most of the popular scanners on the market cater for that function.

Care to share anymore wisdom filled insights?

My scanners work beautifully for the MFB and AV.

X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I've never had a problem since day one.

What type of scanner do you possess or what type of scanners have you tried?

There are plenty of people here that I'm sure are willing to help.