Help with scanning on my ubcd396xt

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
robocop

Help with scanning on my ubcd396xt

Post by robocop »

Hi guys,

I just bought myself a ubcd396xt and still have alot to learn.
So far I have installed the trial of ProScan, and used premium membership at radioreference to program the NSW GRN onto my radio.

I like having the complete GRN with all areas, especially during night when the traffic is low. But scanning during the day with so much traffic, I wish I could limit it to just my area. I know my local control tower (horsely park) how can i limit scanning to this tower, or to a single agency at a time.

I have the "easier to read" manual from markssscanners.com and am slowly working my way through it, so if its in there, if you can even just tell me what feature I need to look up.

Cheers
Robo :)
nirvana

Re: Help with scanning on my ubcd396xt

Post by nirvana »

What i would do is create a group with all the frequencies for that tower and name it Horsley Park. Then begin scanning and tap the HOLD button when you you see a frequency in that group. With that frequency on hold , press the HOLD button again ,but this time hold it down for about 3 seconds .The scanner will make two beeping sounds and the HOLD will start flashing on the top of the screen.It will also say " system hold on "in the centre of the screen. The scanner will only scan the frequencies within the Horsley Park group.You can still select SCAN while the system and group is on hold.
That is how i have set mine up for different CFA regions.

When you turn the scanner off and on again, the system and group will still be on HOLD. To turn it off ,just press the HOLD down again for another 3 seconds .

I hope this helps.

Nirvana
robocop

Post by robocop »

Thanks Nirvana,
I will give it a go. Proscan is mighty complicated but I like the fact i can import all the info from radioreference. Might take me a while to figure it out lol.

Hey, another question.
Charging the battery's. It seems to charge forever and I've never seen it complete a charge.
There is a setting that is default to 14 hours charge. This can't be right can it? Am I overcharging my batteries?
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

Mine is only set for 2 hours and when dead flat and takes about 1 1/2 hours to fully charge.

It does say something along the lines of " charge Complete " after a full charge and it says " Normal Charging " during the charging process.

Without using the backlight , i can get up to 4 hours listening before it goes flat and about half of that with the light on ( usually when i`m scanning at night and not much is happening).

Contrary to what i have read ,you CAN have the scanner plugged in and listen to it while it is charging. I do it often and have never had a problem.

Nirvana
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

robocop wrote:Thanks Nirvana,
I will give it a go. Proscan is mighty complicated but I like the fact i can import all the info from radioreference. Might take me a while to figure it out lol.

Hey, another question.
Charging the battery's. It seems to charge forever and I've never seen it complete a charge.
There is a setting that is default to 14 hours charge. This can't be right can it? Am I overcharging my batteries?
I have never heard of the battery charge timer? Can you let us know how to access this?

I have always run 2900Mah batteries and charge in the scanner, normally get 7 to 8 hours of scanning without the backlight on.

I have not timed it but I would say the charge time is about 14 hours.

Yes no probs using the scanner with it plugged into the charger.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Menu > Settings > Battery Operation > Set Charge Time.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

Thanks Pumper, you learn something new everyday.

Mine was set to 5 hours, I have never touched it and seems to charge the batteries fine.
rob_w

Post by rob_w »

Re charging time the plug in charger that came with mine was only a slow charger, I think output was somewhere around 240Ma from memory so depends on the size battery you have in the radio. Somewhere around 8 to 10 hrs charge time for an average battery would be needed?
Regards, Rob
Boort8720

Post by Boort8720 »

I will soon have an entire database to share with users, and a guide on how to program different networks into your scanner (Specifically UBCD396XT). PM Me if you're still interested

-Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52