Weird Cairns Callsign??

SteveNSWP

Weird Cairns Callsign??

Post by SteveNSWP »

I have been listening to Cairns Police and hear that most cars just call VKR with their car number, however I have heard one car calling Charlie Alpha with their callsign which I assume is CA standing for Cairns, however a few times now I have heard a unit calling Charlie Charlie and they are doing jobs in cairns. So does anyone know what CC is???

Cheers,

Steve.
Comint

Re: Weird Cairns Callsign??

Post by Comint »

SteveNSWP wrote:I have been listening to Cairns Police and hear that most cars just call VKR with their car number, however I have heard one car calling Charlie Alpha with their callsign which I assume is CA standing for Cairns, however a few times now I have heard a unit calling Charlie Charlie and they are doing jobs in cairns. So does anyone know what CC is???
Only guessing here, as each Region seems to "do their own thing".

But possibly CA is Cairns District, whereas CC is Cairns City Division (Regions break down into Districts, which break down into Divisions).

The Far Northern Region only has three Districts (Cairns, Innisfail, and Mareeba).

--
Comint
gaz54

Post by gaz54 »

State Traffic have an operation up that way at the moment, could be them?
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

CC are cars assisting on operation.
As for all regions 'doing their own thing', that'll be changing in the next 6 months.
State traffic are BA callsigns
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
Comint

Post by Comint »

rapps_101 wrote:State traffic are BA callsigns
In the last week, or so, heard a State Traffic unit tell VKR Toowoomba, that they were "just Tango", after the operator had called him Tango Whiskey (Towwoomba area's prefix), a number of times.

--
Comint
quidifa8186

Post by quidifa8186 »

At the moment QPS are rolling out a new CAD system which is designed to *eventually* become statewide. This has come about (in part) to increase interoperability between Police Communication Centres (PCC). Currently if a 000 call goes un-answered in a regional PCC the call gets bounced to PCC in Brisbane (BPPC). With the old system the staff at BPPC had to enter a job on their CAD system, then call the regional PCC to enter the job on local CAD system and have a crew attend which in major incidents such as the 2011 floods caused a major burden.

QCAD (the new CAD system) is designed so that a job can be entered in BPPC and then sent automatically to the screen in front of the local CAD operator. For instance BPPC can enter a job for cairns that will automatically find its way to the CAD screen in front of the Cairns area operator. Any crew that books on with a QCAD PCC can have their status reviewed by any other QCAD PCC. This means that only one crew can use a call sign at any given time throughout the state, which it means QPS needs more letters in the call sign so that there arent double ups.

EG a crew working from Wynnum station would have the callsign BW4XX. Just to make things even more complicated even though their full callsign is BW4XX they only use W4XX when they are on their "home" channel, and then use BW4XX when they are speaking to a different PCC.

Southport was the first PCC to get QCAD, with BPPC and Cairns (and possibly Northcoast) operational with it at the moment.

Also, any crew attached to State Traffic Task Force will use a callsign starting with "Alpha" as they are a statewide resource. STTF are also unique in that the call sign is attached to the vehicle being used, similar to what NSW Police do (and in many cases, the callsign is on the back windscreen of the car).

I hope that makes sense to everyone (but I've just come off 6 nights this morning, so might be a little off with the fairys still)
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Comint wrote:
rapps_101 wrote:State traffic are BA callsigns
In the last week, or so, heard a State Traffic unit tell VKR Toowoomba, that they were "just Tango", after the operator had called him Tango Whiskey (Towwoomba area's prefix), a number of times.

--
Comint
T will be either speed cameras, the water police, or the mounted unit
Last edited by rapps_101 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

quidifa8186 wrote:At the moment QPS are rolling out a new CAD system which is designed to *eventually* become statewide. This has come about (in part) to increase interoperability between Police Communication Centres (PCC). Currently if a 000 call goes un-answered in a regional PCC the call gets bounced to PCC in Brisbane (BPPC). With the old system the staff at BPPC had to enter a job on their CAD system, then call the regional PCC to enter the job on local CAD system and have a crew attend which in major incidents such as the 2011 floods caused a major burden.

QCAD (the new CAD system) is designed so that a job can be entered in BPPC and then sent automatically to the screen in front of the local CAD operator. For instance BPPC can enter a job for cairns that will automatically find its way to the CAD screen in front of the Cairns area operator. Any crew that books on with a QCAD PCC can have their status reviewed by any other QCAD PCC. This means that only one crew can use a call sign at any given time throughout the state, which it means QPS needs more letters in the call sign so that there arent double ups.

EG a crew working from Wynnum station would have the callsign BW4XX. Just to make things even more complicated even though their full callsign is BW4XX they only use W4XX when they are on their "home" channel, and then use BW4XX when they are speaking to a different PCC.

Southport was the first PCC to get QCAD, with BPPC and Cairns (and possibly Northcoast) operational with it at the moment.

Also, any crew attached to State Traffic Task Force will use a callsign starting with "Alpha" as they are a statewide resource. STTF are also unique in that the call sign is attached to the vehicle being used, similar to what NSW Police do (and in many cases, the callsign is on the back windscreen of the car).

I hope that makes sense to everyone (but I've just come off 6 nights this morning, so might be a little off with the fairys still)
Point 1 - not entirely true. There was a computer interface between the five major centres with the old cad system. Also - Brisbane, South East, North Coast and Ipswich have a radio link in place (which can be used to pass information if required.)

Point 2 - jobs could always be sent to Cairns electronically. It was the smaller regional centres that weren't linked in with the old cad system. Also - call signs have always been two letters and three numbers.

Point 3 - the system that the Brisbane metro crews have in place for their radio procedure seems to work very well.

Point 4 - North Coast went first - Southport doesn't have a comms centre (never has) and if you're thinking of Broadbeach, they amalgamated with Logan comms at Beenleigh to form part of SER PCC. They were second to get the new cad system. Brisbane was third. Cairns was forth. Townsville was fifth. Toowoomba comes online late january.

Point 6 - State traffic callsigns are always prefixed BA.
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

I think QPS is getting the same system as NSW, which is designed by Fortek. We have had CAD here in NSW since 2008 and it is a statewide system, always has been. Here all callsigns have a single, double or triple letter with anywhere upto three numbers. So you can have a callsign on cad as LI1 or LI35 or LI211, or for our dog unit DOG11, DOG 36 ect and for crash units it CIU360 or similar. Like QCAD, as it is a statewide system there cannot be double ups in callsigns.

A year ago we also got Mobile CAD, which was designed for our in car computers. Our jobs are still dispatched and called over the air, however we can acknowledge, proceed and mark off/on at jobs via CAD in the vehicles. During our training, a lot of our material was based on QLD. For example the display examples for our mobile CAD had options for us to mark ourselves code 1, 2, 3 or 4. Here in NSW we only have Code Red or Code Blue. We can attach special skills and equipment, an option on the display model was for stingers. We refer to them as spikes in NSW, so clearly our mobile CAD was initially designed with QLD in mind. I would hazard a guess that QLD will no doubt get the Mobile CAD that we have, assuming their are computers in the cars to run them.

It also sounds like you will be getting our system also, and I would dare say it will be identical to ours. No doubt QLD has bought the same system, given that we have had it since 2008 and have had a good chance to iron out all the bugs.
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Its very similar, also made by fortek - however the QPS had it customised (apparently about 40% was changed to suit to the QPS). Callsigns in QLD are only two letters and three numbers.. BW401 BT308 BT768 BA911 CC300 BB706 BC202 etc etc

Mobile Cad is to roll out 2013 - 2014 however for that we need the GRN to be implemented so that we have mobile data to the cars. At the moment the (current) MINDA system uses the GSM network.

As for stingers and spikes, I believe the technically correct abbreviation is TDD ;)
Comint

Post by Comint »

rapps_101 wrote:At the moment the (current) MINDA system uses the GSM network.
What happened to MAVERICK. It was supposed to replace MINDA.

--
Comint
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

MINDA stands for Mobile Integrated Network Data Access..........