Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2

Discussion on Whistler technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
X-Firey

Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2

Post by X-Firey »

Considering I suggested a 'Whistler' section I thought I should at least make the first post...

How many of you scanner enthusiasts in Australia have taken the plunge and purchased and imported a TRX-1 or TRX-2 scanner?

I have had a TRX-1 now for a couple of months and I am very happy with the unit. The unit works well and I happy with it's general operation and on DMR and NXDN systems. Up to date I have been a big Uniden fan. For my monitoring I run a UBCD996T, 2xBCD996XT's, BCD996P2, now with the DMR upgrade and a UBCD325P2-AU. The Whistler is a great addition. The software took a bit of getting used to but I seem to have mastered that although it still has a couple of little bugs.

I believe that Whistler will continue to improve and has so far delivered on it's promises and they appear to listen to those who purchase their product. If they continue to do that and listen to the Australian consumer I'm sure they will find a good market here.
kevnerd486

Re: Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2

Post by kevnerd486 »

X-Firey wrote:How many of you scanner enthusiasts in Australia have taken the plunge and purchased and imported a TRX-1 or TRX-2 scanner?
Me! I bought a TRX 1 back with me from the USA last year. I went to a Airshow in Wisconsin and ordered it online before i left and had it delivered to the Hotel I was staying at. It was there waiting when I arrived. Worked very well at the AIrshow as since the year before a lot of the freq used for the Airshow had moved to DMR.

I know there are a few others in Sydney that have also imported them.

Regards

Kev
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Do they cover the 70-80MHz band?
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

No, it skips the 54-108Mhz range completely
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

blacktown wrote:No, it skips the 54-108Mhz range completely
No good here in Tasmanian, as that is where our fire and ambulances services are.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of a TRX-1 unit.

The wife has just laughed at my use of the word 'eagerly' and muttered something about how I should've used the word 'impatiently'.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Shall be ordering one soon, just going to see what happens with the USD later this month before I jump in. With DMR and NDXN included as standard Uniden have a little catching up to do - especially with Aus models, which I don't think can be upgraded to DMR yet.

I do note the TRX variants are now sold in the UK, apparently with a different band plan. I'm having difficulty finding the differences, however guessing they are simply step differences.

Could anyone advise if the UK band plan is more suited to Australia? Further, is the UK band plan able to be placed into a US unit (and vice verse)? Readings suggests the band plan selection is made from a user selectable menu, which would be convenient if correct and could mean an Australian band plan could be possible with future software updates.
railscan

Post by railscan »

peteramjet wrote:Shall be ordering one soon, just going to see what happens with the USD later this month before I jump in. With DMR and NDXN included as standard Uniden have a little catching up to do - especially with Aus models, which I don't think can be upgraded to DMR yet. I do note the TRX variants are now sold in the UK, apparently with a different band plan. I'm having difficulty finding the differences, however guessing they are simply step differences. Could anyone advise if the UK band plan is more suited to Australia? Further, is the UK band plan able to be placed into a US unit (and vice verse)? Readings suggests the band plan selection is made from a user selectable menu, which would be convenient if correct and could mean an Australian band plan could be possible with future software updates.
In the radio itself you can only select USA or Canada band plans. The software allows the third option of United Kingdom. Make sure that Flexi Step is enabled in the software as well. Doing so will permit any of the old 15 kHz (there are still a few around) as well as the current 12.5 kHz frequencies on VHF High to be added. As most of Australia employs 12.5 on VHF and UHF, band plans become a little irrelevant as such.

Until someone supports Whistler here in Australia, I doubt a band plan for here will be forthcoming. I would rather see 6 places after the decimal point for very narrow NXDN frequencies above 470 MHz first.

R
railscan

Post by railscan »

Pumper_50 wrote:Eagerly awaiting the arrival of a TRX-1 unit. The wife has just laughed at my use of the word 'eagerly' and muttered something about how I should've used the word 'impatiently'. Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
She waited 9 months Chris, you only have to wait 9 days!

Russell
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

railscan wrote:
Pumper_50 wrote:Eagerly awaiting the arrival of a TRX-1 unit. The wife has just laughed at my use of the word 'eagerly' and muttered something about how I should've used the word 'impatiently'. Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
She waited 9 months Chris, you only have to wait 9 days!

Russell
Only?!? Pffffttt.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

At least with the TRX-1 you get an instruction manual...
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

For those with the TRX-1 already can I have your battery suggestions please?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I've been using VARTA 2100mAh rechargable batteries in my handhelds for a while now.

Running the TRX-1 on battery with no backlight or alert lights and scanning on average 4 scanlists I seem to average around 8 hours running time. Having 4 batteries also helps.

So far I've had a good run out of the VARTA batteries and charger.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

X-Firey wrote:I've been using VARTA 2100mAh rechargable batteries in my handhelds for a while now.

Running the TRX-1 on battery with no backlight or alert lights and scanning on average 4 scanlists I seem to average around 8 hours running time. Having 4 batteries also helps.

Thanks. Does the instruction manual (for the scanner, not the kids) recommend a minimum and maximum 'mAh' at all?
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

railscan wrote:The software allows the third option of United Kingdom. Make sure that Flexi Step is enabled in the software as well. Doing so will permit any of the old 15 kHz (there are still a few around) as well as the current 12.5 kHz frequencies on VHF High to be added. As most of Australia employs 12.5 on VHF and UHF, band plans become a little irrelevant as such.
Ok, good tips. Thanks.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Pumper_50 wrote:
X-Firey wrote:I've been using VARTA 2100mAh rechargable batteries in my handhelds for a while now.

Thanks. Does the instruction manual (for the scanner, not the kids) recommend a minimum and maximum 'mAh' at all?

The manual doesn't recommend a minimum or maximum MAh.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

It's arrived! Now to find a few spare hours for a play.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Metradio

Post by Metradio »

You might all be interested to know that Whistler have just released a firmware update for the TRX1, TRX2, WS1088 and WS1098 that has a selectable Australian Bandplan, selectable within the scanner...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.
comport1

Post by comport1 »

Metradio wrote:You might all be interested to know that Whistler have just released a firmware update for the TRX1, TRX2, WS1088 and WS1098 that has a selectable Australian Bandplan, selectable within the scanner...

Mike
Do they unblock the 70mhz range for the Australian market?? Typically they block out 54mhz to 108mhz...
------------------------------------------
Comport1
Metradio

Post by Metradio »

I have not tried the Australian bandplan as I am in the UK and use that bandplan, we use the same 68 to 88MHz frequencies and they are un-blocked. :D

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.