Project Radio Scanning Man Cave

Brag about your radio and scanner (home, mobile, work, handheld) installations here, post photos and give us the specifications of each device
tanger32au

Project Radio Scanning Man Cave

Post by tanger32au »

What is a man cave? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_cave

My wife and I have recently purchased a house, this has a large garage which I had planned on partly converting in to a "Radio Man Cave" for me to have setup how I want with all my radio related equipment, a computer and all my other bits and pieces that are all about who I am as a person.

After moving in last December, I found that the garage area was not as large as what I had thought, this meant that instead I decided to convert the garden shed in to a radio scanning man cave / shack. This involved lining the walls / roof plus setting up a desk and storage shelves / drawers.

I am very happy with how it has turned out, it is my own little space where I can do as I please. Total cost including all the furniture was less than $200 as the furniture was all purchased second hand.

More photos can be seen here: http://launcestonanalyticalradioscannin ... -cave.html
Pumper_50

Re: Project Radio Scanning Man Cave

Post by Pumper_50 »

You found your happy place, nicely done. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
railscan

Post by railscan »

One thing you may wish to consider, those scanners are basically sitting inside a Faraday cage, which means they are not going to operate at peak. You may want to connect them to outside aerials, which can be something like a mag base or even a gutter grip. The mag base would provide better security because it can be put away when not in use. That way the shed looks like any other garden shed when no one is home.

R
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Thanks for the replies :)

Yes they are all going to have external aerials connected to them, I am going for two mag mounts which can be removed as you said and a discone on top of the garage :)
terryhaynes
Forum Manager

Post by terryhaynes »

Gez it must get hot in there in summer! :?
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

terryhaynes wrote:Gez it must get hot in there in summer! :?
Not at all, with the door open it is perfectly fine.
chrisco

Post by chrisco »

Url to the photos broken

Sent on the go with the Telstra network using Tapatalk