goldcoast media frequencies

charliebreaker

goldcoast media frequencies

Post by charliebreaker »

hi does anyone know the frequencies for gold coast media eg gold coast news ect and also how does the media know whats happening around the gold coast now since all police have gone digital it amazes me how they get all there news and report from scenes of crime without listening to the police bands or do they have access to the new radio network just a few questions i would like to be answered if anyone knows if i dont know i ask
Gearbox92

Re: goldcoast media frequencies

Post by Gearbox92 »

Hey, there are some 2-way channels that tv stations use but it's very rare...I couldn't tell you the freqs.

Media certainly does not have access the the new network (GWN). With the scanners gone, media get stories through contacts - instead of relying on a combination of both contacts and radios as the case was before the GWN came online.
charliebreaker

Post by charliebreaker »

thankyou for the ifo much appriciated
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Gearbox92 wrote:Hey, there are some 2-way channels that tv stations use but it's very rare...I couldn't tell you the freqs.

Media certainly does not have access the the new network (GWN). With the scanners gone, media get stories through contacts - instead of relying on a combination of both contacts and radios as the case was before the GWN came online.
add pager decoding to the list of things they use
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Gearbox92

Post by Gearbox92 »

brisbanescan wrote:
Gearbox92 wrote:Hey, there are some 2-way channels that tv stations use but it's very rare...I couldn't tell you the freqs.

add pager decoding to the list of things they use
True, however pocsag is always used in conjunction with a scanner because many jobs that come up on the pager that appear newsworthy turn out to be nothing. So without the extra information to back up info the pocsag becomes far less of an asset because news organisations don't have the resources to go to everything they see on the pager.
Put simply, radios give the story and pocsag gives an address.
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Media get jobs from Gov Media liaison officers , but most jobs are obtained by contacts
Twbtech

Post by Twbtech »

and to add to Radio Australia... 7 & 9 have fulltime social media people watching Twitter / Facebook etc... Also while the news crews have UHF commercial radios, they tend to dispatch via the phone, the two ways are just there when the mobile networks fail or to talk to the chopper if they are in the middle of nowhere - they also use radios for IFB (return audio) for live crosses etc...
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

The only published frequencies we use are the ones used by our radio mics in the field for standups where the jurno is doing a report straight to camera.

These were in the 790 Mhz band but since Turncoat sold those off, we are moving to the 500 Mhz band. The cost is about $10,000 per camera. No point in monitoring as the mics only have a 100m transmit radius. Besides, do you really want to hear five takes of a news report?

We do monitor the non encrypted airwaves and use things such as Victoria's Fire ready phone app, which sends out SMS alerts. To listen in there is an easier way than programming scanners and its using Victoria CFA Official radio feed, legitimately uploaded to Broadcastify.com (CFA is non encrypted digital, and the CFA have done this to reduce costs to members that monitor at home)

VicPol is different, they have a dedicated media unit, and media organisations CAN have a special feed (once you have jumped through the exhaustive hoops) so the Chief Of Staff is allowed to have an internet feed and live updates. VicPol log the IP address so they can see if the service is being abused and can shut off feeds to unauthorised machines.

They also have a dedicated media liason officer (as do CFA, Metro Fire and SES) who can readily assist.

NSW Police are different. They hate us media people, unless they want to do a "please help us" story. The word "assholes" and "beligerent" comes to mind, but then seeing as this is a family forum, I wont use the word assholes.

I have done stories where the chief inspector refused to do an interview on a river fatality, and he was told to do his job by the commissioner.

Yes, we monitor unencrypted analogue plods but listening to the endless traffic checks and domestic violence calls is somewhat tedious. So much so, I rarely listen to police, and wont really be worried when they go digital encrypted in victorias rural areas sometime in 2017.

But that's going to take some time, judging by the CFA experience, where lots of areas are still analogue.

The advantage of CFA and sites like IncidentAlert give us media camera guys a headsup, but more importantly folks living in fire prone areas can figure out if there is a fire near their home (while they are at work).

Live reports from the field are now sent back to the office using things like LiveU and Dejero, where the backpack box uses multiple 4G "phones" to send the data back to the office. ABC News are probably the biggest user of LiveU in the country, as most of the HD live reports are done this way for News 24.
charliebreaker

Post by charliebreaker »

thanks heaps for all that info its very much appriciated thankyou