CFA Digital Update

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
vkcpolice

CFA Digital Update

Post by vkcpolice »

I have just had word that talk groups 502 and 512 District 2 and 12 Fireground channels will be going Digital by this Fire Season this is including all IMC Channels also been told that work is being done on several towers around the state mainly the only one i can confirm for sure is pretty sally. i hope this is not a step forward for encrypted police coms..
blacktown
Forum Manager

Re: CFA Digital Update

Post by blacktown »

Victorian Budget 5th May 2015
"The Budget also includes $11.5 million of new money to upgrade the outdated analogue regional police radio system to a secure, encrypted digital network. Victoria Police will also commit $23.8 million from its operational budget to fund this upgrade which will make country cops safer, as eavesdroppers can no longer pick up details of police operations."
http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/police-ba ... ity-safety

Should be operational by January 2017 with July 2017 as the switchover date
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/403293,vi ... adios.aspx
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

The fireground channels are not going to be trunked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Similar to NSW where RFS use P25 voting on low 421-425MHz for local tactical response separate to the NSWGRN P25 trunked network
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

vkcpolice wrote:I have just had word that talk groups 502 and 512 District 2 and 12 Fireground channels will be going Digital by this Fire Season this is including all IMC Channels also been told that work is being done on several towers around the state mainly the only one i can confirm for sure is pretty sally. i hope this is not a step forward for encrypted police coms..
Are you seriously attempting to drum up another Police Encryption is the evil of all evils thread with that last comment? :shock:
You're efforts have already seen you banned elsewhere and I've seen you drag and dribble threads down on these forums.

Just for the record the CFA TGID's on the RMR Network already are P25 digital! They were built that way from the start and those Districts already are using the RMR Network for dispatch.

The old analogue dispatch hub gear that is currently running in unison/patch with the RMR is being switched off.

As for the Fireground Channels, yes all Districts will eventually use a new allocation of Fireground Channels based on conventional P25, some districts already are. District 13 for example.

Here is the real clincher for you VICTORIA POLICE IS DEFINITELY GOING ENCRYPTED FOR RURAL COMMUNICATIONS. Can you just get over it and move on? It's happening, deal with it, can't deal with it? Get a new hobby.
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

Agree with the statement Pumper 50.

vkcpolice, there are more better things to listen to when the police go offline like the trams.
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

Does anyone have an idea on when d13 analogue will be switched off?
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Xstream003 wrote:Does anyone have an idea on when d13 analogue will be switched off?
District 13, along with Districts, 7, 8 and 14 VHF Voting Network, which is analogue, will not be turned off anytime soon, however it is believed in the long run it will.

District 13 has however started using P25 digital firegorund channels apparently. I believe they've been instructed to use:
Fireground (P25 Conventional):
305 D13A 161.11250 NAC: 61F - Yarra Valley Group
306 D13B 161.17500 NAC: 61F - Knox Group
307 D13C 161.20000 NAC: 61F - Dandenong Ranges Group
308 D13D 161.10000 NAC: 61F - Maroondah Group
263 D05C 161.03750 NAC: 455 - Spare
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

They can use 477 if there is a fallout

Simon Snorkel

Post by Simon Snorkel »

vkcpolice wrote:also been told that work is being done on several towers around the state mainly the only one i can confirm for sure is pretty sally. i hope this is not a step forward for encrypted police coms..
Nothing to do with police. If your referring to the RMR network that would be the added command channel.
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Saw a link on another forum about the announcement on 5/8/15 that the CFA have just selected their replacement listening set / scanner for Digital

http://news.cfa.vic.gov.au/news/new-dig ... ected.html

A new digital scanner has been selected to replace existing listening sets at CFA brigades, with an order now placed with the supplier.

The Uniden UBCD436HP-ES digital scanner was selected after an exhaustive 18-month selection process.

The scanner was subjected to a thorough technical testing process before samples of the scanner were provided to VFBV representatives across the state for field trials.

After considerable consultation between the CFA Evaluation Team and the VFBV representatives, the Uniden scanner was evaluated as being the superior product offered during the tender process.

CFA has signed a contract with Preston-based Pacific Telecommunications - the Australian distributer for Uniden scanners. Uniden is gearing up for production, and delivery is planned for the end of October 2015.

CFA understands the selection process for the new digital scanners has led to frustration among some CFA members. The rigorous selection process has revealed that the selected digital scanner is the best product currently available and has features that will enable it to be used with future developments in CFA’s radios including transition to P25 Phase 2.

The new digital scanner will be delivered pre-programmed with the current CFA/DELWP radio channel plan. These scanners are capable of receiving analogue and digital radio traffic and meet all of CFA’s technical requirements for a digital scanner.

CFA is working with VFBV to determine a process for equitable distribution of the scanners across all CFA brigades, along with implementing a subsidy to lessen the financial impact. Further details of the distribution and subsidy will be provided when they are finalised.
vkcpolice

CFA Digital Update

Post by vkcpolice »

I mentioned that the fire ground channels and imc channels were going digital i never said anything about dispatch cause there already digital. and your information is incorrect anyway where already using p25 conventional now in district 12. to be fully operative by October.
Last edited by Phil on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of negative and attack based post
Pumper_50

CFA Digital Update

Post by Pumper_50 »

vkcpolice wrote:I mentioned that the fire ground channels and imc channels were going digital i never said anything about dispatch cause there already digital. and your information is incorrect anyway where already using p25 conventional now in district 12. to be fully operative by October.
Actually you kind of did mention dispatch along with your Fireground Channels reference by referring to Talkgroups 502 and 512, which incidentally are channels, the Talkgroups would actually be 30502 and 30512.
vkcpolice wrote:I have just had word that talk groups 502 and 512 District 2 and 12 Fireground channels will be going Digital by this Fire Season this is including all IMC Channels also been told that work is being done on several towers around the state mainly the only one i can confirm for sure is pretty sally. i hope this is not a step forward for encrypted police coms..
So exactly what and who's info is incorrect? No-one has stated any incorrect info here other than your own misuse of terminology..

If we state 'someone is about to do this' why pop up here several weeks later and say 'you're wrong as we already are doing this'?
It's a transitional project.

vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

If anyone has a list of the new digital fireground frequency that would be great :) ive heard that they are the same as the analog frequency just digital not sure if that is true or not
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

vkcpolice wrote:If anyone has a list of the new digital fireground frequency that would be great :) ive heard that they are the same as the analog frequency just digital not sure if that is true or not
Pretty much spot on. They recycle the same frequencies in the same order and assign NAC's (like a CTCSS/PL tone).
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

Will the dispatch for CFA be only trunked or can i listen to it via p25 conventional?
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

Dispatch is on the RMR (trunked) and FG channels are (conv)

vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

what about the imc ch's? the one we use on analogue was 76 and that went through a repeater its gonna be hard to find the new ch numbers to program into my scanner. im mainly just at the moment looking for imc 76 and FG 51 i was told they were 300 something
melbournefan

Post by melbournefan »

Some imc channels are the same but it would have P25 instead of analog.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

I thought that to listen to trunked systems the radio itself needs to connect or affilate to the network for it to work properly. So how will the scanners do the RMR trunked?