Best Handheld vhf Antenna

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
vkcpolice

Best Handheld vhf Antenna

Post by vkcpolice »

Was just wondering if someone could recommend a good antenna for my uniden 436hp. being part of the local cfa i really rely on it. however im finding the reception very poor with the standard antenna that uniden provides. i did go out and purchase i vhf antenna hoping it would improve my coverage but it seems to be worse than the original. i live only about 10km from our local RMR site but finding the reception on the 436 so much worse than the 396
railscan

Re: Best Handheld vhf Antenna

Post by railscan »

vkcpolice wrote:Was just wondering if someone could recommend a good antenna for my uniden 436hp. being part of the local cfa i really rely on it. however im finding the reception very poor with the standard antenna that uniden provides. i did go out and purchase i vhf antenna hoping it would improve my coverage but it seems to be worse than the original. i live only about 10km from our local RMR site but finding the reception on the 436 so much worse than the 396

Try a dual band VHF/UHF ham radio aerial. Resonant frequencies are close enough.

R
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

yea might be my next option but i dont use uhf unless i go into the cbd and then i change over to my uhf antenna anyway
chainz

Post by chainz »

Nagoya 771
emergen

Post by emergen »

I agree with chainz as I use a Nagoya 771 and it's a great antenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chainz

Post by chainz »

8 bucks on ebay, You cant go wrong!
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

Nagoya 701 or 771 work great for me
redstar

Post by redstar »

I'm actually waiting for my nagoya 701 to arrive. It should be today. I have a little baofeng uv-5r so it should be an imrovement. I'll let you know how I go.
redstar

Post by redstar »

Got the 701 today. No perceivable difference in tx or rx to report. Could have bought myself a sandwich and a can of v for that money.......disappointed. maybe the 771 is better. I have ordered one anyway to check it out. So no sandwich today either. Haha.
dags19

Post by dags19 »

Just go to macas for there loose change menu all should be good :D
redstar

Post by redstar »

Way ahead of you mate. Delicious!
redstar

Post by redstar »

After further testing I can say that the 701 is marginally better than the standard antenna supplied and that's only on vhf.
comport1

Post by comport1 »

Hi

For everyone that says the Nagoya 771 is the Best, I 100% agree!! I cannot believe how well they work, they put all if most, factory Antennas that come with any handheld, to shame! And at the moment on ebay for around $4.50 to $5.00 free postage, you cannot go wrong! I often buy them in bulk at a time. 10-20 in most cases.

I also do a slight modification to them, I use very tight glued heatshrink between the bottom of the whip, and the solid base, it makes the antenna even more sturdier and stronger! Lasts so much longer.

Just my input...

Cheers
------------------------------------------
Comport1
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

are they vhf-uhf duel band and can you transmit on them or are they only good for scanners??
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

just brought onne just says 144/430 whats this meann it does 144-430 thats gonna be usless for MMR and for my boafegn on UHF CB
comport1

Post by comport1 »

vkcpolice wrote:are they vhf-uhf duel band and can you transmit on them or are they only good for scanners??
Yes They are Dual Band Antennas 2m / 70cm. Transmit Antennas, also great for Scanner Antennas....
Comport1
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

I get an extremely high SWR across UHF on my NA-771 :(
"YOUNGN"
comport1

Post by comport1 »

vkcpolice wrote:just brought onne just says 144/430 whats this meann it does 144-430 thats gonna be usless for MMR and for my boafegn on UHF CB
These are Tuned for 2m (144 MHz) & 70cm (430 MHz). In my experience theses antennas are fairly broadband, they will transmit on Marine fine (156-162) and probably make excellent RX Antennas for the MMR / SMR.

I have also used UHF CB on these antennas, and well out performed most factory supplied antennas.

Give them a good workout, you will find what's best for you.

I use them for basically everything from Airband (118 MHz Up) right up to 520 MHz with no problems at all! In fact, I used one to Tune to UHF Digital TV on around 600-700 MHz on a USB TV Dongle, and WOW, no problems at all!

That's just my Opinion & Experience with these antennas! I have just purchased another 10.

Cheers
Comport1
comport1

Post by comport1 »

youngn wrote:I get an extremely high SWR across UHF on my NA-771 :(
Hi youngn

I have had good results with UHF CB on these antennas, although haven't used them on UHF CB lately.

I'm pretty certain I checked SWR on these across UHF, but that would be some years ago when 771's came out.

I will be sure to check the SWR on UHF CB when these new ones turn up.

Cheers
Comport1
emergen

Post by emergen »

As a suggestion try using a 'rats tail'.

A homemade "rat-tail" ground plane costs 35 cents each to make. A crimp on eyelet to fit your antenna's connector, a string of speaker wire about 19-20 inches long and a little heat shrink tubing to dress it up and done. Soldering the the wire to the connector instead of crimping it will be a better option.

Go here for some details about the "Rat-Tail" ground plane: http://www.hamuniverse.com/htantennamod.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk