UHF 7 & 2 reception question

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
terryhaynes
Forum Manager

Post by terryhaynes »

Hi guys,

I'm at Runcorn and receive vhq7 loud and clear from Mt Glorious but channel 2 which is on Cootha I can just hear if I'm lucky. How is this so if I'm miles closer to vhq7 than ch 2?

Terry Haynes
Comint

Re: UHF 7 & 2 reception question

Post by Comint »

terryhaynes wrote:Hi guys,

I'm at Runcorn and receive vhq7 loud and clear from Mt Glorious but channel 2 which is on Cootha I can just hear if I'm lucky. How is this so if I'm miles closer to vhq7 than ch 2?

Terry Haynes
Channel 2 has some special Clauses on their Licence, that stipulates they will not cause interference to one of the other Licences on the same Site.

Perhaps they have to reduce the Tx Power, to comply with this Clause.

--
Comint
res

Post by res »

and congrats to the new owners of hell, errrr, i mean vhq07, may you soon regret your decision :)
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Yeh, they will soon find out how expensive it is to replace the finals on the repeater unless they wind it right down...

Maybe the ACMA should have a special clause on the VHQ7 repeater as well.... *wink*
res

Post by res »

Phantom wrote:Yeh, they will soon find out how expensive it is to replace the finals on the repeater unless they wind it right down...

Maybe the ACMA should have a special clause on the VHQ7 repeater as well.... *wink*
lol yes, they seem to have increased the timeout to a somewhat lengthy period going by last friday nights "entertainment"

Must admit, I thought about giving Mark an offer on buying 6, and removing the timeout entirely, just to screw over that senile old fool hayden who times it out overnight, every night.
brianWE

Post by brianWE »

:roll:

I feel SOOOO deprived.
I don't get any of that entertainment here in the NSW Northern Rivers!!!

Very light radio traffic and plenty of opportunity for the boring farmers and their families to discuss what brand of butter to buy at the super market. And the current drought/flood/ earthquake.
All of the interesting people I used to talk to when I lived in Lismore seem to have died....or worse...moved to amateur bands.
Even the Council road workers don't seem to choke the channels with where they surfed at the weekend.
Just not enough of them, I suppose..

The only real entertainment is on Ch 29..if you are close to the highway.
Reliable!
erikn

Post by erikn »

brianWE wrote::roll:

I feel SOOOO deprived.

Very light radio traffic and plenty of opportunity for the boring farmers and their families to discuss what brand of butter to buy at the super market. And the current drought/flood/ earthquake.
All of the interesting people I used to talk to when I lived in Lismore seem to have died....or worse...moved to amateur bands.
Even the Council road workers don't seem to choke the channels with where they surfed at the weekend.

Reliable!
I get a good laugh out of the 'Home of the Button Pushers' sometimes, really depends if you hear the regulars like Barry Muller and 'Gravel' advertising his big 'appendage' shall we say :lol:
Also Ch 40 is good fun sometimes too :)
This user has retired from the forum.
res

Post by res »

erikn wrote:
brianWE wrote::roll:

I feel SOOOO deprived.

Reliable!
I get a good laugh out of the 'Home of the Button Pushers' sometimes, really depends if you hear the regulars like Barry Muller and 'Gravel' advertising his big 'appendage' shall we say :lol:
Also Ch 40 is good fun sometimes too :)
muller.... i must been lucky, before last friday night (only really turn on whilst i'm on the road fri/sat nights) I havnt heard that tosser in over 20 years! I gotta admit tho, the "song" someone did about him hahahaha, laugh, i couldnt stop! :lol: he must miss his mates Leo and Doug the security guy from those days, he seemed to listen to them when told to STFU

He always brings shit upon himself, i mean what do you expect when you play music (if you can call it that
) for 3 hours straight...

40 has been real quiet lately on fri/say nights on north coast highway once u get north of carseldine...

I did note bit of ducting around past few weekends, so might have a bit to do with it.
_Art_
Newly Registered Users

Post by _Art_ »

It was listening to Ch7 (UHF CB Mt Glorious repeater) for a single night that convinced me to get into amateur radio.
My first & only transmission "Can I have a radio check please" A: "You're not working &$@?"... followed by some listening
which quickly convinced me the repeater could never be relied upon as any communications medium.
They should wind their timeout and output power down to zero.
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

_Art_ wrote:It was listening to Ch7 (UHF CB Mt Glorious repeater) for a single night that convinced me to get into amateur radio.
My first & only transmission "Can I have a radio check please" A: "You're not working &$@?"... followed by some listening
which quickly convinced me the repeater could never be relied upon as any communications medium.
They should wind their timeout and output power down to zero.
Welcome to the 'glorious' world of VHQ07 :lol:
"YOUNGN"
ziggybyrne

Post by ziggybyrne »

I believe channel 2 is only using a single folded dipole antenna. This would explain the limited range compared to channel 7.

Cheers
res

Post by res »

ziggybyrne wrote:I believe channel 2 is only using a single folded dipole antenna. This would explain the limited range compared to channel 7.

Cheers
dunno bout that, on bribie, 2 is more reliable than 7.. and less fsckwits :)

tho it does have its dead spots on the highway from carseldine...

needs relocating to top of one of the new skytowers in bris city, only need a single dipole there to saturate city and cover north of caboolture, south of beenleigh and west tyo ippy... shit I had a 12db at redhill few year back and got saturate to caboolture, hell hand helds on bribie and moreton, and mobiles out to beaudesert, and mobiles just past redbank plains, and those friggin buildings are massivley higher than I was :)

mt coot-tha and mt cotton are so over rated yet poor performers
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

I'd love to set up my own (without a duplexer, I'm poor) but I'll be stuffed if I know who to ask to get permission to put it somewhere!
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

... And plenty of $$$ to site rentals, licensing, repeater, coax, antennas and power.
Sure it a lot of $$$ to folk out for no return or to find your equipment thrashed due to all the idiots on the chook band who run more than 5W and love attempting to time out the repeater playing music 24/7
res

Post by res »

Thats why I love the idea of removing the timeout - technically it is, or was, a breach of licence terms, you used to have one.

Thoug must say whatever they did to 7 when it "broke" a few weeks back, its returned as shit, its useless on much of the Bruce highway, oh sures its there- mostly, but you can hold a convo, you cant even here it properly most times, and on Bribie, its next to gone, fark, I get kilcoy 3 on Bribie rather well on passage side, 5-10 times better than 7 where 7's completely gone.

Also things like that wont break if people who have NFI what they are doing keep the fsck away from it.

that said, wonder when 8 will be back on air, used to rely on it, now its gone...
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

8 has a new owner last i read it was up for sale on fb, 4 Caloundra was moving to a higher spot not sure what's going on there
res

Post by res »

yah, I know who the new owner is, he's had it for a while now too, I did hear he was looking to move it, maybe aint found a good enough site yet, if he's reading this, he might like to comment :) ?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Well let hope the new owner abides by the licence conditions and keeps the time out on there.
res

Post by res »

Phantom wrote:Well let hope the new owner abides by the licence conditions and keeps the time out on there.
I disagree, look at the far on 7 now with their ability to stop ppl talking by timing it out for hours on end since that capability has been taken away from them. I applaud the move.

Infact I wonder if 6 lost its timeout too, since that senile old fool (name) at toorbul used to time it out every night just so he wouldnt miss anything, its been on 24/7 for ages now.. well either that or the ACMA finally did something about him :)
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

res wrote:
Phantom wrote:Well let hope the new owner abides by the licence conditions and keeps the time out on there.
I disagree, look at the far fewer on 7 now with their ability to stop ppl talking by timing it out for hours on end since that capability has been taken away from them. I applaud the move.

Infact I wonder if 6 lost its timeout too, since that senile old fool at used to time it out every night just so he wouldnt miss anything, its been on 24/7 for ages now.. well either that or the ACMA finally did something about him :)
I hope something was done about him, that bloke loved picking on people and spreading so much garbage and harassing, I myself copped along side few others even crabman RIP , apparently had a hardcore setup aswell.