Scanner no longer provides sound

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
hempen

Scanner no longer provides sound

Post by hempen »

I have had a Quansheng scanner for several years since Black Saturday to listen to local CFA activity during bushfire periods.

It has worked well, but this year I have only been able to get speaker sound by holding down the Monitor key. I've looked through the manual, but can't find what (if any) key combinations will return the loudspeaker function.

When it's set to scanning, it doesn't stop at any frequency. When I key in 162.687 for my local tower (Mt St Leonard) I'm able to hear CFA messages with Monitor pressed, but obviously I can't sit there listening in this fashion.

Any ideas?
SteveO

Re: Scanner no longer provides sound

Post by SteveO »

Sounds like it may have gone "deaf"? I had one that did it years ago.Mine was still under warranty and got replaced.
Steve
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum
Comint

Post by Comint »

hempen wrote:I have had a Quansheng scanner for several years since Black Saturday to listen to local CFA activity during bushfire periods.

It has worked well, but this year I have only been able to get speaker sound by holding down the Monitor key. I've looked through the manual, but can't find what (if any) key combinations will return the loudspeaker function.

When it's set to scanning, it doesn't stop at any frequency. When I key in 162.687 for my local tower (Mt St Leonard) I'm able to hear CFA messages with Monitor pressed, but obviously I can't sit there listening in this fashion.

Any ideas?
Didn't know Quansheng made scanners. What is the model number.

If you can only hear Speaker Audio by pressing the Monitor button, it usually means that you have CTCSS ( Decode) enabled on the Channel, and you do NOT have the correct Tone for the frequency you are trying to Monitor. Generally speaking, there is NO need for Scanner Users to have CTCSS enabled.

Pressing the Monitor button, by-passes any CTCSS Tone, allowing you to hear the transmission, irrespective of which Tone is programmed.

--
Comint
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

Did it come from me !!!

Have you over charged or under charged this checked the ctcss tones

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
hempen

Post by hempen »

It is a Quansheng TG-25AT or TG-45AT walkie talkie modified so it only receives signal.

It's possible that I inadvertently pressed some combination that changed the loudspeaker function, but the manual isn't clear what combination I need to return to normal function.
Comint

Post by Comint »

hempen wrote:It is a Quansheng TG-25AT or TG-45AT walkie talkie modified so it only receives signal.

It's possible that I inadvertently pressed some combination that changed the loudspeaker function, but the manual isn't clear what combination I need to return to normal function.
Do the letters QT appear on the display.

--
Comint
hempen

Post by hempen »

Yes,

I don't seem to be able to remove QT. Pressing F -QT R. doesn't have any effect.
hempen

Post by hempen »

By trial and error, I found F-T.SQ has removed the QT, but the scanner remains silent except when M is being pressed.
Comint

Post by Comint »

hempen wrote:By trial and error, I found F-T.SQ has removed the QT, but the scanner remains silent except when M is being pressed.
I believe Func + 2 toggles QT.

I don't know what secondary markings the buttons have on them.

I am guessing that QT-R displays which CTCSS Tone is programmed in for Receive, and QT-T would display the Transmit Tone.

--
Comint
hempen

Post by hempen »

Yes, T.SQ is number 2, so F then 2 turns QT on and off.

But, it doesn't seem to matter whether QT is on or off, I don't get any sound on either setting.