Uniden 996T static issue PLEASE HELP

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Hon83

Uniden 996T static issue PLEASE HELP

Post by Hon83 »

Hi I have had my uniden 996t for 12 months now and all of a sudden I am having static issues the issue is that even if nothing is broadcast there is a static. Can anybody help with this? The only difference is a new longer antenna. The guy at time plus said the antenna was designed for scanning. Not sure if it is a antenna issue. Attached a video of the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bx5fkz3vz54m ... 115341.mp4
Comint

Re: Uniden 996T static issue PLEASE HELP

Post by Comint »

Hon83 wrote:Hi I have had my uniden 996t for 12 months now and all of a sudden I am having static issues the issue is that even if nothing is broadcast there is a static. Can anybody help with this? The only difference is a new longer antenna. The guy at time plus said the antenna was designed for scanning. Not sure if it is a antenna issue. Attached a video of the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bx5fkz3vz54m ... 115341.mp4
That is not 'static'. Are you sure it is coming from your scanner, as it sounds like you are recording a tram travelling along beside you.

--
Comint
Hon83

Post by Hon83 »

It is coming from the scanner. It happens with the MMR and metrol. It doesn't happen all the time but only since I got a different antenna.
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

It sounds like the signal reaching the scanner is very weak. Can you plug a different antenna in to the scanner for comparison?
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Sounds like data transmissions? The signal strength meter is showing plenty of signal.
Steve
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

It is data.

It is not P25 data though so rule out MMR Network interference.

Some of it sounds like data from the Victrack to me.

This could be a simple RF Overload issue. What happens when you alter the squelch settings or turn on the attenuator?

What area does this occur in? All over or in a certain area/suburb? There may be a transmission tower near you and its washing you out.
Comint

Post by Comint »

The video shows the 996T is still scanning, and occasionally stopping on some "channels", so it would be a very strange data transmission/RF overload issue to be NOT affecting the scan operation, and yet be continuously heard through the speakers. It is as if the "interference" is entering the scanner after the squelch circuit.

--
Comint
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

There is an easy fix, go back to the old antenna if it was working ok.
Steve
Hon83

Post by Hon83 »

Thanks for the help. I have gone back to the original antenna and not having issues. With the other antenna it seems it only happened around the CBD. The new antenna is great in the country and can pick up Vicpol VHF very well in the suburbs. It's a shame it isn't working too good in the city.
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Hon83 wrote:Thanks for the help. I have gone back to the original antenna and not having issues. With the other antenna it seems it only happened around the CBD. The new antenna is great in the country and can pick up Vicpol VHF very well in the suburbs. It's a shame it isn't working too good in the city.
Sounds very much like overload.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Hi found this thread interesting cause i was having the same issue with the uniden ezi130 i put a vhf antenna on it so i could hear country region police better and even with the sqelch up full all i got was static even when putting the original rubber ducky on it still vocationally happens in melb cbd think it must just be bleed over from close freqencys's since the uniden ezi130 cant decode cts tones
Hon83

Post by Hon83 »

Still had issues with the radio after the original antenna. I found after Turning on the Attenuator it fixed the issues. I hope this helps you with your issues. Thanks everyone for the help