Vicpol Regional using MDT's

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
turbine_prop

Vicpol Regional using MDT's

Post by turbine_prop »

Hi all.

New to the group but not to scanning, I did quiet a bit of traveling through out Victoria at Christmas time and noticed that just about all police vehicles had UHF antennas usually x 2 and some times 3 ( i'm guessing that 1 of the UHF antennas was for the UHF CB that a lot of country police vehicles now have ) as well as the VHF, on closer inspection I saw that a lot of the vehicles ( the one's that had 1 or 2 UHF antennas ) also had MDT's and Motorola digital radio's but still seem to be using ( or only using ) the VHF network.

I have noticed lately that a lot of talk by VKC across the various regional country districts that the jobs are now being put on MDT's, unit's are coming up saying that they are having trouble logging onto or off of the MDT's and jobs are being sent to the MDT's and swapped from one unit's MDT to another unit's MDT.

Is this the pre cursor to the full roll out of digital through out Victoria and if so will it be encrypted or as it is in other parts of regional Australia ( NSW for one ) be in the clear :?: ( all be I can't imagine that happening in Victoria allowing that they are a bit paranoid )

I really hope not if we scanner users loose Vicpol off of VHF then that will just about be the complete end to what is left of scanning as we know it at least. :(

I know that the country regional AMBO's have been using MDT's for quiet some time now all be more usually than not unsuccessfully given by what I regularly hear just about every weekend ( Fri night to Sun night ) that's the only time I get to listen usually.

Anyway thanks all and look forward to some more info on this subject.

Turbine_prop.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
Scannersplitterguy

Re: Vicpol Regional using MDT's

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Welcome :-)
I kept up with you, until here:

I know that the country regional AMBO's have been using MDT's for quiet some time now all be more usually than not unsuccessfully given by what I regularly hear just about every weekend ( Fri night to Sun night ) that's the only time I get to listen usually.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
turbine_prop

Post by turbine_prop »

It's a well known fact that the Metro ambulance are for ever having to reset MDT's and as for the country well 5 minutes spent listening to any regional ambulance frequency answers this question polling and MDT's just don't work in regional area's once you are out of the major regional hub.

But anyway this doesn't really answer the question as to what the likely outcome of Vicpol is likely to be in the not to distant future regionally in Victoria should anyone have any more idea than me.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

All police now have mdts digital encypted corruption is still a while away from hitting regional victoria due to money costs also thr terrain is horrible enough they still have vhf radio issues let alone digital all i can say is were safe for now
turbine_prop

Post by turbine_prop »

Thanks Vicpolice for your reply yeah interesting I actually saw a regional police vehicle the other day using the MMR radio instead of the VHF what's going on there ?.

What's also interesting is the amount of Metro police coming up both on the SMR ( the actual SMR ) and Vicpol VHF 2 local in Melbourne opening saying that they are using this spectrum so as to not be heard by either other units or VKC ( if on the SMR ) or because they hate the MMR.

I've heard all manner of descriptions by the Ambo's Vicpol and MFB about the MMR both privately and when they have been talking to each other whether it be on a fire ground channel or I have even heard the MFB on the CHA VHF network talking between trucks.

In short I really don't think our emergency services have much time for the MMR and as you so rightly describe it encrypted corruption 8)

I'm home in Melbourne tonight so i'll be sure to have every thing fired up and see what funny convo's I can hear and what digital melt downs I can hear tonight.

There's not a night when the ambo's either metro or regional are polling 100% properly what a joke Motorola should be made to rip all the digital crap out that they have put in and every one should go back to the way that they were in the first place.

Correct me if I am wrong and I put a question mark over S.A. but Victoria is the only state that has fully left the 468Mhz N/W for voice comms, I know it's still being used in NSW infact Albury are still analogue and in the clear in NSW on the 468Mhz Network.

Wagga Wagga and surrounding districts are using Apco25 BUT on the 468Mhz N/W but regularly having problems that see's them go back to Analogue, I know I have been there and have been listing when it has happened.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

i just moved to melb but i cant be bothered listening to mmr its boring i still listen to the cops from my old town much more fun
turbine_prop

Post by turbine_prop »

Yep I must admit I don't spend a lot of time listening to the MMR in Melb either even with the 996T which does a poor job of handling Apco25 even with RG213 and a 18 DB vertical antenna the country / regional stuff and the SMR along with CFA and Aviation is much more entertaining.

There's a lot of Melb VicPol action both on the SMR ( where they think they can't be heard ) and on 2 local

Fri and Sat nights some really fully stuff can be heard on the Yarra trams freq's as well it's a bit scary really when you hear some of the things these people talk about and ask over the radio and you think OMG these people are transporting people around some of them I wouldn't let in a billy cart.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

I love analouge and wasted $400 on a digital scanner when i use it more for analouge. Cant say ive ever heard any melb police on smr as of yet since no scanner can trunk smr i try to avoid it. Metro is fun to listen to on a fri and sat night. I got of a train the other day and spotted a pso talking on his radio i walked passed him saying a little bit of encrypted corruption aye. They didnt like me saying that haha
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

keep yoor ears on the 1 /or 2 local freq in mero melb ... as it has been said they use this quiet a bit , I hear it often , even in some cases while on the road ,,, so have it in your scanners ,
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au