Can someone identify this frequency

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
BitProcess

Can someone identify this frequency

Post by BitProcess »

Hey,

I live in the Shepparton area and I'm new to scanning. I was doing a general scan the other day and picked up 164.437.50 and I'm hearing all kinds of talk on it. I guess it's some sort of repeater but where is the feed coming from and what sort of repeater Is it?

Also can someone give me a list of all the repeaters the Shepparton area can receive please?

thanks
The scanners I have at the moment.
Uniden UBC355XLT - My first scanner I got myself.
Uniden UBC93XLT - The second scanner I got myself.
Uniden UBCD396T - The first digital scanner I got myself.
BitProcess

Re: Can someone identify this frequency

Post by BitProcess »

Thank you very much for your help.
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Yeah looks like SMR

Site ID 43872
Name Police/Telstra Site 27 km E of Shepparton MT MAJOR

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_ ... E_ID=43872
Uniden 396T + RH-96, Uniden BCT8, Puxing 888 UHF
BitProcess

Post by BitProcess »

Thanks Mathew,

Just say I wanted to monitor all traffic channels, do I only monitor the out channels or do I monitor both in and out?

And are all frequencies gonna have something different on them?

My scanner is a Uniden UBC93XLT, what would be the best way to program all the SMR frequencies into it?

thanks
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

What you want to do is monitor the voice frequencies.
Have a look here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=15294

The red/blue frequencies are the control/alternate control channels. These control what transmissions are transmitted on what voice channel and so forth. If you try and listen to these, you will hear a garbled noise.
The voice frequencies are the grey ones.

As you can see, the frequency listed above is one of the voice frequencies. So now you can put the rest of the voice frequencies into your scanner and listen to all SMR activity on that site/repeater.
You should hear range of agencies, depending on who uses SMR in your area.

Mat
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

police dont use smr only ambo's ses police use a voting network i seen another thread on this site with shepp frequency's
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

vkcpolice wrote:police dont use smr
Yes they do.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

The Police do use the SMR network but it is not their primary system for their rural operations.

I think where the confusion comes in is people immediately confuse their normal VHF voting network as being SMR because the two systems are in the same band.

There is their VHF Voting Network which they use for normal job allocation, dispatch etc and then there is the Telstra owned and maintained VHF MPT1327 Trunking Network of which VicPol subscribe to and use as a supplement to their primary voting network.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

police only use smr to trunk there stations or to work out on the field there main system is a voting network thats when you here vkc ballarrat ect.
Comint

Post by Comint »

The Victoria Police network, in rural areas, is in the 163.5750 to 164.0500 MHz segment of the Band. The SMR is in the 164.0625 to 165.9875 MHz segment.

--
Comint
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

i hate smr they need to start building a scanner that can trunk it properly sick of hearing ambo's then couriers on the same frequency
Comint

Post by Comint »

vkcpolice wrote:i hate smr they need to start building a scanner that can trunk it properly
Even though there are currently large MPT1327 Networks being rolled out in the USA, MPT1327 is ancient technology (circa 1988), so it is highly unlikely that there will ever be a scanner that will TrunkTrack MPT1327.

With DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) being marketed as the "Digital Upgrade Path for MPT1327 Systems", and Regulatory Authorities around the world pushing for more efficient use of the Radio Frequency Spectrum, the likelyhood of anyone manufacturing an MPT1327 TrunkTracking scanner, is probably less than 0.001 percent.

sick of hearing ambo's then couriers on the same frequency
If you have a PC Controllable scanner, you can always use TrunkView or UniTrunker, although not really practical in a mobile environment.

--
Comint
knightcon

Post by knightcon »

BitProcess wrote:Thanks Mathew,

Just say I wanted to monitor all traffic channels, do I only monitor the out channels or do I monitor both in and out?

And are all frequencies gonna have something different on them?

My scanner is a Uniden UBC93XLT, what would be the best way to program all the SMR frequencies into it?

thanks
The in channels listed by ACMA are the frequencies that the given repeater listens on. Don't program those in as that in effect would allow your radio to transmit on the police frequencies which is illegal (assuming your not a police officer and not authorised by VICPOL to use their radio network). You would need the CTCSS tone to unlock the repeater but even just having the frequency in could theoretically cause issues if a police officer was nearby on their portable unit and you attempted to transmit at the same time (interference, etc).

The only frequency you need to worry about is the "out" frequency, that is the frequency which the repeater transmits on and what you need to receive on.
ymmlman

Post by ymmlman »

I think you have jumped the gun a little but with the illegal transmitting.

You can see from his request which you have quoted above, he has an UBC93XLT scanner.

Highly confident this device can't me made to transmit on any frequency, let alone Vicpol (with or without CTCSS).
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Comint wrote:If you have a PC Controllable scanner, you can always use TrunkView or UniTrunker, although not really practical in a mobile environment.
HOw does this work?
Comint

Post by Comint »

Birdman wrote:How does this work?
If you use Trunkview, you take audio from the Scanner, and feed it to the PC, which decodes the Control Channel, and then tells the Scanner to change to the frequency of the Voice (Traffic) Channel, so you can follow the conversation. When the conversation is finished, the Scanner is returned to the Control Channel.

If you use UniTrunker, you have to use two Scanners - one for the Control Channel, and one for the Voice Channel.

--
Comint