VICPOL/Fire Bendigo

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
Jamey
Newly Registered Users

VICPOL/Fire Bendigo

Post by Jamey »

Currently i listen to Vicpol from Bendigo (VKC Ballarat) using an online stream, i usually have it running in the car and at work however im pulling around 100meg a day on my mobile and with a 1 gig data plan its chewing way too much.

Iv Been looking into getting my self a scanner, Been thinking about Uniden EZ130XLT Mobile Radio Scanner mainly due to its small size however iv been doing some reading and am worried it wont be able to pickup what i currently listen to.

The online Stream i listen to at the moment has VICFIRE covering a rough circle of Woodend-Kyabram-cohuna-mildura-maryborough and all in between and pretty much VicPOL in the same areas.

Just want some advice on weather i would be able to roughly hear the same kind of thing with a HW Scanner??

This is a link to the unit http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... UNEZI30XLT
Jamey
Newly Registered Users

Re: VICPOL/Fire Bendigo

Post by Jamey »

After reading the post a few down from mine that i didnt see earlier im guessing that the scanner i linked too will NOT work for what i need, that i would need to buy one of the Digital Trunking ones.

Could somone confirm this for me?
acerat
Newly Registered Users

Post by acerat »

i have a little ubc72xlt hand held. im in bendigo also and hear clear and crisp vkc all day every day. no antennas just as it comes
knightcon

Post by knightcon »

While the CFA do have access to the SMR network and use it for some applications at the moment they still rely heavily on their VHF repeater network. They use voting channels to communicate with VICFIRE, the repeaters for which are then linked through SMR back to VICFIRE. The frequencies can be found at http://techtalkradio.com.au/cfa-radio-frequencies.php.

They are currently looking at converting over to a digital P25 based system in the future but no firm plans on this at this time and unlike police it probably won't be encrypted, only digital, in which case a P25 enabled digital scanner will still allow you to listen.
ymmlman

Post by ymmlman »

They are a little more advanced towards converting to digital P25 and have very firm plans.

Several Districts have all of the base transmitting sites in place and operating, the radios have been reprogrammed with the new trunking system and Talk Group allocations, the CFA brigades in the initial areas have received all their training and have conducted test radio scheds. The only thing missing is somebody to talk to in dispatch terms (with issues regarding training of the ESTA dispatchers).

You are correct with the encryption, CFA will not be encrypted to a P25 trunking enabled digital scanner will be able to pick them up.
knightcon

Post by knightcon »

Thanks ymmlman,

I hadn't been aware of it at the time but you are correct the rollout has been finished for most areas and many districts are not starting to use the digital channels for at least their radio sked (In district 16 we use the digital channel for the weekly sked already and will be moving fully to digital as soon as the VICFire links are established and ESTA is trained in use).

SES - Analogue UHF (For Local Use Only, Being Phased Out Over Coming Years)
SES - Trunked Analogue VHF (For Dispatch and Major Incidents)
CFA - Analogue VHF (Current Dispatch & Fire Ground Channels)
CFA - Trunked Digital VHF (Being Implemented)
POL - Analogue VHF (All Radio Comms)
POL - Trunked Digital Encrypted UHF (Metro Only, Unscannable)
DSE - Analogue VHF (All Radio Comms)

As for using a hardware scanner it is more based on the location where you are and how the police repeaters are cross connected. I know that when I am in my home town (St Arnaud) I can hear radio comms on the repeater net from Horsham, St Arnaud, Ballarat, etc, on M2 C139 but if I go to Ballarat I need to pick a different repeater. It is all the same comms but just coming from a different repeater and so a different frequency. If you have already gotten one or know someone with one give it a shot and work out what is available to you and how far you can scan but you definately won't hit the Maryborough repeater directly although if it has been cross linked with the Bendigo repeater you should be able to hear the Maryborough traffic on the Bendigo repeater.