mines a very modest station

Brag about your radio and scanner (home, mobile, work, handheld) installations here, post photos and give us the specifications of each device
rredbeak

mines a very modest station

Post by rredbeak »

had dozens of radios through the years but now only 2 radios.

A IC706mk11g and a Magnum S9. Next month a new Galaxy 98VHP will be an addition to the shack. Been paid for just waiting shipment from the states. Few weeks i guess.

Other than that ive got a UBCD996T,DTS96,UBC72xlt.

Heres a pic that sort of covers all except the 72xlt

Cheers Rod.

PS i only ever run 10W on CB as i find the ionosphere is a great leveller of signals anyway,is 1 or 2 extra "S" points really worth it if youre being heard loud n clear...

Cheers Rod
I LOVE AOR scanners, but cant afford the newer ones LOL. So Uniden is it.
GeneralZap

Re: mines a very modest station

Post by GeneralZap »

Is there still life on 27mhz? I too have an old Ranger thats been forgotten might get it out and have a listen.
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

oh boy,its alive and well,even tho we're on the bottom of the cycle its running hot.

Usa,Hawwaii,Nz,and of course all states of aus and occasionally lord howe.

What ranger,2950,2750??? They were a sweet thing,i import ALL my CB stuff as theres so little here now thats any good. I wont go into 2950 mods cause obviously youve been there done that.

Drag out your old stationmaster and get into it,theres more skip than we can handle.

Cheers Rod.

Currently around 1pm Usa rolls in on 38 ssb [both sides] and ch 11 am,Hawaii just after them. You can hear the skip swirl around from country to country.

When your dx station starts going "lispy" its swirling and youve got seconds to give 73's
GeneralZap

Post by GeneralZap »

Well I must just do that. I remember a link to a US website that customs those S9's, would it be asking to much if you could supply a link.

Later this week I will put togther a quarter wave (nine feet) vertical and have a listen. Have not played with HF for so long. I tried once before, but if memory serves me right I copped heaps of RF.
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

yea,i think you should get back on . The idiots are nearly all gone to UHF and the HF cber's now are really enjoying the great near idiot free DX.

Yea,these S9's are a great thing,can be "Tuned" to well over 40 W. On 10 Meters mine runs 50+ BUT to play equal to everyone in oz i only use 10W on CB,levels the playing field.Its got the commercial voice compression builtin [on AM only] and Echo for the players amongst us. Slight Echo will pick you up over most other stations. but turn it too far and its annoying.

Theres SO many mods for these its like a ph book. Everything from AM Swing [50W] to ssb 210W output. Finals are cheap as,around $5 each and run the same driver/finals.
Ill PM you the Link.

The Galaxy 98VHP will run 200W straight out of the box and Tuned its well around 300W. They run the same finals [8 of them] as the S9 [1969 Transistors]. The NEW S9 run Mosfets and ppl are starting to realise static discharge in from the antenna circuit kills mosfets really quickly.

Mines the 1969's and im happy there LOL.

BUT ,your Ranger is WELL on par with anything these days. These other radios arent cheap,S9 is around $500 Shipped, The 98VHP its $700 Shipped. Both these include full tuning.

With the oz Dollar on parity NOW is the time to buy.

Id get the 2950 out,they had great audio,heaps of power and more features/mods than anyone could possibly need.

Cheers Rod
GeneralZap

Post by GeneralZap »

Thanx Rod for your time.

totally agree UHFCB seems to be a basket case until you leave the city areas.
11meter band was certainly more interesting in the past.
rredbeak

Post by rredbeak »

take care. cheers Rod