P&O Pacific Sun

For all those camera snappy enthusiasts, share your images whether they be of radio communications, emergency services or incidents etc
youngn
Forum Manager

P&O Pacific Sun

Post by youngn »

Just looking through some pictures of a cruise I went on in '08 and remembered that I took some photos of the various antennas that were on top of the Pacific Sun. I've found them so here are a few...
PIC_1707.JPG
PIC_1704.JPG
PIC_1705.JPG
Does anyone know what the big balloon looking one is for? It always intrigued me when I saw it as it had a little manhole hatch on it and an electromagnetic radiation warning sticker on it... possibly a weather thingmo?
PIC_1730.JPG
PIC_1688.JPG
Some of the Motorola handhelds they use on board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YOUNGN"
bir0

Re: P&O Pacific Sun

Post by bir0 »

The balloon/dome looking one could be a radar? I think the dome actually just protects/covers that radar. Same as the other smaller balloon/dome/ball shaped one I think.

OR actually it could be covering a dish with a rotator? So could be for IMMARSAT or similar. I am certainly no expert on this but this is just my observation.

I have vague memories of being told the giant golf balls you see out in remote areas like in Pine Gap, and in places in England at the 'listening stations' have dishes in them and sometimes that domes stop you from seeing which way they are pointing as well as protecting them from the elements too :-)

The one in the first pic that has four arms to it and are bent/looped pipes with a black bit in the middle could very well be a satellite antenna for picking up weather fax and things like that. The multiple elements help pick up the downlink from the satellite as it moves across the sky without having to move the antenna itself. Like a lindenblad style antenna. (but without each element tilted.)

As always...I'm happy to be corrected...that's how we all learn.
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

The "golf ball thingmo" is Sonar I think
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Typically SONAR is used underwater

I am guessing that the Golf Ball is either Radar (WX or Traffic) or Sat Communications.
Kevaclone

Post by Kevaclone »

The Ball is Sat comms
there are three radar units quite visible in the first pic
there is also Foxtel/Sat TV dishes
I spent quite some time up inside that sundeck taking pics
also got a good pic of one of the Bridge computer Nav screens as we entered Noumea and as we entered Moreton Bay under Pilot control

Bridge is locked up tight and no one is allowed in, apparently a terrorist might take control and crash it into a building or something
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Kevaclone wrote:Bridge is locked up tight and no one is allowed in, apparently a terrorist might take control and crash it into a building or something
Haha good luck with that one Mr Terrorist.
Mitch Rogers
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Kevaclone wrote:I spent quite some time up inside that sundeck taking pics
Haha I was too much of a youngn to be let in there...
"YOUNGN"
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

where is all the pics from the nightly hottie shags?? its a cruise...its bound to happen!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

Hahaha I was barely 15 :P
"YOUNGN"