Airband Antenna Suggestions

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
jaskel

Airband Antenna Suggestions

Post by jaskel »

Well....as you know I run a discone on my roof and it does ok, im at the base of the blue mountains so I dont really get Sydney ground etc or if i do it is very scratchy!

Can you suggest a decent airband antenna or will the discone do as good a job as any? I was going to run a 5-2000mhz splitter and run each antenna into that and then down 1 coax to the scanner....what you think??

Im open to ideas and interested as to what you guys suggest!

Cheers

Jas

Below is a pic of my current setup...just add another 6 feet to the height of the discone now as I have raised it up.

Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Comint

Re: Airband Antenna Suggestions

Post by Comint »

jaskel wrote:I was going to run a 5-2000mhz splitter and run each antenna into that and then down 1 coax to the scanner....what you think??
A Splitter is used for feeding (splitting) one antenna to multiple receivers.

A Diplexer is used to combine multiple antennas to one coax.

Some poorer quality splitters can be used in either direction.

Most good quality splitters can't be used as Diplexers.

--
Comint
jaskel

Post by jaskel »

Im also thinking of tapping into my TV antenna, its a VHF 10 element for TV and it is pointing almost at the airport! might just help!
Uniden UBCD996XT, UBCD396T,Pro 96, UBC120XLT, Icom IC-208H, GME TX4220, Icom IC-F410, Discone
Comint

Post by Comint »

jaskel wrote:Im also thinking of tapping into my TV antenna, its a VHF 10 element for TV and it is pointing almost at the airport! might just help!
If you rotate the boom so that the elements are vertical, you 'might' have some success.

By my calculations, Penrith is over 45 km from Mascot, so that would be asking a lot from transmitters that don't have much height. And the Sydney GROUND transmitter is probably only 10 watts, as it only needs to provide coverage within the airport perimeter.

--
Comint