ICOM RX-7

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
AIRMAN

ICOM RX-7

Post by AIRMAN »

I have owned an Icom IC-R5 for about 4 years. It worked fine, but when I saw the IC-RX7 and read some reviews on it, I decided to sell the R5 and use the proceeds towards the RX7.

A full and great review can be found about this HH on EHam, so I won't attempt to review it in quite the same way other than to say its PROS & CONS....here they are:

ICOM IC-RX7 - wideband receiver, made in Japan.

PROS
0.150-1300 frequency range
1800 memory channels with 26 categories (plus 200 auto write channels and 25 programable 'edges' (ie search ranges. Receives AM FM & WFM)
Optional PC programming
Great design...not too small and not to cumbersone, splash proof case and yes it has a key pad that can be locked.
LION battery means it lasts and lasts and lasts.
Comes with it's plug in charger unit.
Can be charged and used at the same time - not that i have ever needed to.
Big dot matrix screen is far easier to read from any angle than LED
Dial light can be left on and won't impair battery usage to any noticeable extent.
Nice belt clip which can be easily removed.
With supplied antenna its receiving power is sigificantly better than the R5 and can give my UBCT9 a run for its money as well. Case in point is Southport QFRS which can be heard in my home on the RX7 with the supplied antenna.
Huge array of features including adjustable delay time and squelch grading including auto squelch. many beep tones available, I don't personally use them, but they are there for those who do.
CTCSS - but I haven't gone there as yet.
Broadcast AM & FM stations loud and clear including night time talk back radio shows interstate.
Much improved scanning speed (from IC-R5)

CONS
Earphone socket is positioned on the side of the casing and is mono. Gee ICOM, get your act together! This is my biggest gripe. If you wish to used a set of earbuds similar to an iPod, then you will only get the sound out of one side! A mono/stereo adapter is needed, then it sticks out too far.

If the keypad was illuminated for night use this would be a big plus.

Conclusions
Anyone wanting a value for money wide range hand held analog scanning receiver made in Japan, go no further than this one.

I rate it 3.5 stars out of five. If they'd put the earphone socket in the top (there's plenty of room!) I would have rated it four out of five.

Cheers
Airman
rochedalescan
Founder

Re: ICOM RX-7

Post by rochedalescan »

Thanks for the review Airman,

I was looking at getting one of these myself however I think I might wait it out for the new uniden supposedly coming out of another one of icoms releases.

Edit: I meant to say aswell it was interesting that Icom made another larger handheld after it looked like they were going smaller and compact with the IC-R1,2,3 and 5 etc
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Cheers Airman.

Things still get made in mono these days :shock:
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

AIRMAN wrote:CONS
Earphone socket is positioned on the side of the casing and is mono. Gee ICOM, get your act together! This is my biggest gripe. If you wish to used a set of earbuds similar to an iPod, then you will only get the sound out of one side! A mono/stereo adapter is needed, then it sticks out too far.
I think you will find that the actual Spkr socket is a Stereo socket, although NOT Stereo Audio.

The Tip and Sleeve connection is for Speaker / Earphone audio, while the Ring and Sleeve is for the CI-V interface which is used to Clone programming between two RX-7s, or for PC Control of the RX-7.

If you have any soldering skills, you could make your own Mono adapter using a 3.5mm Stereo Right-Angle Plug (Jaycar Cat. PP-0136) on the Radio end (so it doesn't stick out too far), and a 3.5mm Stereo Line Socket (Jaycar Cat. PS-0134) on the other end of a short length of single core shielded cable. On the Radio end, just connect to the Tip and Sleeve. On the other end, connect the centre conducter to both the Tip and Ring connections. This will connect the Left and Right earbuds in parallel, and give you audio in both.

--
Comint
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

A bit too technical for me.

I might try shorting the wires of the earbuds (see post abt jack plug conversion)
robb

Post by robb »

It works fine with mono plugs.
Happy scanning,

Uniden UBCD996 + 396T, UBC9000XLT, Icom IC-RX7, Yaesu FT-60.