Help with buying another scanner please

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
Harry

Help with buying another scanner please

Post by Harry »

Hi All,

I have a Relm HS 200 ( 200 channels, 13 band, 10 priority channels, programmable, fast scan, multi band) scanner.
It has died..(OK I know it is old but it did the job and didn't have a loud click when there was a transmission).

I saw on an auction site this one.... UNIDEN BC92XLT SCANNER THIS SCANNER WILL SCAN MANY FREQUENCIES INCLUDING FIRE POLICE AMBULANCE AND MUCH MUCH MORE PRIVATE COMPANIES AMATEUR RADIO SERVICES THE FREQUENCIES RANGE FROM 25.0-27.995 TO 894.0125-956.0 .

Is this one similar to the Relm? I really only want it for the police/fire and perhaps ambos & also it I went to an air show.

Perhaps some of you can set me in the right direction....I don't want to spend over $200 as I have spent heaps on the dog at the vet recently.

Thankyou,

regards,

Harry
Finch

Re: Help with buying another scanner please

Post by Finch »

If you only want to listen to those freqs a UCB73XLT will do, the difference between the UBC73XLT and the UCB93XLT is that the UCB93XLT has 100 more channels and the 800MHz band (no trunktracker though).
If you think 100 channels will be plenty and you don’t need 800MHz then the UCB73XLT will be fine for you.
I got mine from http://www.prestigecom.net.au/, but http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-07.htm are selling them (73XLTs) for a few bucks more but with free express post.
Hope this helps.
-Alex
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

Hi there Harry,

Did you want a hand held or a desktop

If you want a hand held then as finch suggested try a 73 or 93, desktop try a ubct9 , try ebay as generally they are cheaper than the stores.

Here is one a member is selling

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ubct9-radio-scan ... 286.c0.m14
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks to both of you for the info...I think I need the trunk tracker but I'm not sure what it does...my other scanner had it so I suppose it's necessary.

I wanted a hand-held.

I came upon this scanner....RELM MS-200 SCANNER PACKAGE, for sale on eHam.net Classifieds Search Results (http://www.eham.net/)

I contacted the owner...now have to figure how to send the money to the US...he doesn't take paypal, I may have to trust him and send the cash in a registered envelope...this is his email..
Hi....
Scanner is available. I can send the package first class international post for $35.00USD. I do not accept paypal or credit cards. I have sold items in Europe & Asia before with buyer sending cash, United States Dollars, in a registered mail envelope. I would not feel comfortable utilizing bank drafts unless draft is drawn on an American or British Bank with offices in the United States.
Best Regards,
Mark
I'll have a look at some other payment options today.

Thanks again...I'll keep you updated,

Harry
Comint

Post by Comint »

Harry wrote:...I think I need the trunk tracker but I'm not sure what it does...my other scanner had it so I suppose it's necessary.
I am confused.
You say you have a RELM HS-200, which is a 1996 vintage hand-held which certainly does not have TrunkTracker.
I wanted a hand-held.

I came upon this scanner....RELM MS-200 SCANNER PACKAGE, for sale on eHam.net Classifieds Search Results (http://www.eham.net/)

I contacted the owner...now have to figure how to send the money to the US...he doesn't take paypal, I may have to trust him and send the cash in a registered envelope...this is his email..
Hi....
Scanner is available. I can send the package first class international post for $35.00USD. I do not accept paypal or credit cards. I have sold items in Europe & Asia before with buyer sending cash, United States Dollars, in a registered mail envelope. I would not feel comfortable utilizing bank drafts unless draft is drawn on an American or British Bank with offices in the United States.
Best Regards,
Mark
I'll have a look at some other payment options today.

Thanks again...I'll keep you updated,

Harry
The MS-200 is a Desk Top. He is asking $130.00 USD plus $35.00 USD postage for it. At todays exchange rate, that is over $200.00 AUD plus Bank charges.

Most major Australian banks have offices in the United States.

--
Comint
Fireman_DJ

Post by Fireman_DJ »

DO NOT SEND THIS GUY MONEY IN AN ENVELOPE!!! I smell a rat. He ONLY accepts cash stuffed into an envelope? How dodgy is that?
Don't be fooled by thinking it's registered. All that means is you can prove he received the envelope. No proof as to whats inside it.

A bank draft is proof of what and how much he's been given. And it doesn't matter what bank he uses or what bank you use. Get his banks details including a street address and his personal details including street address. Then take that to your local bank.

But given what he's asking, I wouldn't deal with him at all.

What the best course of action for is to tell us what you listen to currently and what you wish to listen to in the future.
If you know the freqs tell us those, otherwise tell us who they are (ie police) and for what area so we can work out the details. And a budget.

Then we can give good advice on if this scanner or that scanner will meet your needs.
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

yeap sure sounds dodgy, deal with people in australia and only ones that accept paypal or credit card.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ! ! !
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Colonel

Post by Colonel »

You could use Western Money Transfer :wink: :lol:
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

As bodyguard suggested.

Mate, I recommend trying Ebay. There are payment options that would suit you and you can deal with people in Australia. There is a large range of products.

With Ebay, you can also sus out any dodgy buyers, and if it all goes pear shaped, you can have it investiaged.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Harry you will get yourself into a world of problems buying electronic goods outside of Australia. It's just not worth the risk.

CAN YOU TRUST THE SELLER?
SHIPPING EXPENSE CAN BE RIDICULOUSLY HIGH
INSURANCE?
ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH CUSTOMS AND IMPORTATION REGULATIONS IN THESE TROUBLED TIMES
ALTHOUGH YOU MAY BE AFTER A HAND HELD SCANNER, IT STILL NEEDS TO BE CHARGED AND THAT NEEDS AUSTRALIAN PLUGS AND VOLTAGE OTHERWISE YOU WILL FRY THE PCB.

Talk to guys on this forum and tell us exactly what you need to monitor. UHF/VHF emergency services? Airband?
All of these can be satisfactorily monitored by a Uniden hand held scanner. These units range from as little as $155 at this reliable on line dealer:
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php ... 7a8981619d

Good Luck

Just look at local suppliers, either on line or at your nearest DSE. Don't trust eBay either. There are some real rogue traders there as well.
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

I also give a high recommendation to Prestige Communications.

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

I have bought a GME TX3440 from them.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

AIRMAN wrote:Don't trust eBay either. There are some real rogue traders there as well.
You just gotta be careful on Ebay.
Mitch Rogers
robb

Post by robb »

I love Prestige comms, very good prices for NEW (not second hand) products! The thing with ebay is the the prices sometimes are nealy or only a $50 diff between second hand and new. I would personally recommend the UBCDt396, I think the 73 and 93xlt by Uniden is okay but don't expect miracles!! I think the bigger question is what frequencies do u listen to mostly?
Happy scanning,

Uniden UBCD996 + 396T, UBC9000XLT, Icom IC-RX7, Yaesu FT-60.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thank you all for your help...

Comint, in answer to your comment about 'Trunk Tracking'...no wonder I don't know what it is if my old Relm didn't have it! :lol: ...never mind, I probably don't need it anyway!

My cousin lives nearby to where the seller of the scanner lives, so there is arrangements being made....I am sorry I jumped the gun a bit in going ahead with buying, I should have waited 'till I had more answers from you guys but was a bit hesitant as I had asked a question about a repair on my old Relm a year or so ago and one of the answers back to me was a bit derogatory on my having an older model of scanner.

from reading your answers now...most of them are helpful and constructive...thanks.

Colonel...I also think cash in the mail is about as safe as Western Money Transfer :)

I will let you know how I go.

Thanks again,

Harry