Icom 400pro Need Advice

Discussion on Icom technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
fire_rescue

Icom 400pro Need Advice

Post by fire_rescue »

Hey all im looking at going from GME to Icom 400pro, i want to know if anyone has had use of the icom 400pro what there reliabilty is and if its worth buying. reason why i ask is cause i have been told by nuemerous radio users that they burn out easy and not a good radio on the other i have rang a number of radio shops like olbis and kyle comms and have told they have had no probs except for a few speakers that had to be resoldered, any advice would be great thanks in advance
Shane (Fire_Rescue)
workerboy

Re: Icom 400pro Need Advice

Post by workerboy »

I've used one at work, seem to fairly good tho had no troubles with GME TX4400 either. I was going to buy IC400pro but it was not going to fit in a usable spot in my ute so I bought the TX3440 but then was dissapointed when I saw the remote mic Icom on the market, I wanted the icom but at the time didn't know they had a remote mic :(.

They say the icom is built for US military standard, and look tough. they have a huge aluminum heat sink and seem that there built to last as they seem heavier than a GME.

Must admit I haven't shed much light on the situation but a bit of chit chat, Best of luck
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

rather $$$ for what it is.
plenty of reveiws around + and -

Paul.
Colonel

Post by Colonel »

Mate have been using one for about 5-6 years now. Haven't had any problems, and mated with my aerial gets great range.

My only criticism is not very user friendly (eg non-marked buttons) which I don't mind as it means other people in my car can't "play" around :mrgreen:

The only other issue is only has 'open', 'group' and 'priority' scan options (unless you can modify xtra??)