Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2

Discussion on Whistler technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
X-Firey

Re: Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2

Post by X-Firey »

Just confirming that the AU bandplan is selectable via the scanner 'Program Menu', 'Global Settings'.
AU bandplan does not show up on the updated PC app.
I am able to set up a limit search between 70 mHz (min) and 87.5 mHz (max). The search is in 12.5 kHz steps.
Not sure if there is any change to our 800 mhz band.

FM broadcast band is locked out.
comport1

Post by comport1 »

Ok, cool, so the 66-88Mhz segment should be fine then.

I am know leaning towards the Purchase of a TRX-2. Was very keen one the AOR DV-1 but obviously it's twice the price, and the TRX-2 seems like good value....

So can anyone recommend the easiest way to purchase a Whistler TRX-2? Is Direct from Scannermaster in the US the way to go? Or is there even an Australian Dealer / Importer??

Thanks
------------------------------------------
Comport1
kevnerd486

Post by kevnerd486 »

I bought my TRX-1 from https://www.zipscanners.com although i had it shipped to a location in the USA where i was staying at the time, they do ship international (although with all postage from the USA its expensive) and i found them good to deal with.

Regards

Kev
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

I purchased my TRX-1 from Zip Scanners also. They were good to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Just to clarify 'comport 1'... when doing a 'limit search' with the AU bandplan set the lowest search frequency the scanner would accept was 70 mHz and the highest frequency the scanner would accept was 87.5 mHz.
comport1

Post by comport1 »

X-Firey wrote:Just to clarify 'comport 1'... when doing a 'limit search' with the AU bandplan set the lowest search frequency the scanner would accept was 70 mHz and the highest frequency the scanner would accept was 87.5 mHz.
Yep, no worries. Just wanted the ability to still monitor Rural Fire from 70-77 and Rural Ambulance from 79-79.9875.

Just playing around with the TRX-2 Software now... slowly starting to master it. Still need to purchase the scanner though...

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far....

Cheers
Comport1
Metradio

Post by Metradio »

Seeing that Whistler have added an Australian bandplan to their scanners I would suspect that a dealer in your country is about to announce the addition of the Whistler scanner range.. This happened in the UK about 6 months ago, Moonraker (http://www.moonraker.eu/) announced in the hobby radio press that they were the official dealer for the Whistler scanner range in the UK, scanners would include a UK bandplan. Since then the Whistler scanners are the top selling range in the UK with all other main hobby radio dealers carrying them for sale.
The scanners are aimed at the North American market, so if you are in the USA or Canada you can tell the software where you are and what you want to listen to and it is downloaded to the scanner. In the UK we have the same problem as you we do not have a downloadabe database to program our scanners and have to do it the hard way..
If anybody is interested we have a Facebook group "Whistler Scanners users UK".
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1459154764101554/
It is a closed group but all current and potential Whistler users are welcome. Although we cannot answer your country specific comments we can draw parallels.. We can offer a number of member produced tutorials and videos on things like importing frequency text files, also a member has written an application "WhistlerQ" to import from large HTML, PDF and obscure text files.
http://whistlerq.wixsite.com/whistlerq

Whistler scanner video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RNVYQ1X2Ti

As an aside, Whistler have also added a "France" bandplan on their scanners...

Mike Burgess G7HID
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.
comport1

Post by comport1 »

Hi Mike, thanks for your info...much appreciated

Cheers
Comport1
Air493

Post by Air493 »

X-Firey wrote:Just confirming that the AU bandplan is selectable via the scanner 'Program Menu', 'Global Settings'.
I am able to set up a limit search between 70 mHz (min) and 87.5 mHz (max). The search is in 12.5 kHz steps.

What is the step for the 420-430MHz segment? Is it 12.5kHz or still the US 5/2.5kHz?
railscan

Post by railscan »

Air493 wrote:
X-Firey wrote:Just confirming that the AU bandplan is selectable via the scanner 'Program Menu', 'Global Settings'.

What is the step for the 420-430MHz segment? Is it 12.5kHz or still the US 5/2.5kHz?
6.25 kHz is accepted by the receiver.

R
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Any ideas when these will be for sale in Australia? I am going to be in the market for a new scanner very soon.
railscan

Post by railscan »

tanger32au wrote:Any ideas when these will be for sale in Australia? I am going to be in the market for a new scanner very soon.
At a guess - never. If Whistler can be bothered to setup here, being the only exception.

No company established in Australia has the wherewithal to setup, sell and support a fairly expensive set of scanners for such a small market. Why do you think Uniden have pulled back? They would love to be selling their entire range in Australia, but the hobby is shrinking and contrary to what some people think, Uniden is not in the market to give stuff away, their shareholders want to see a profit, so they pull back on the less profitable items. Scanners being probably close to the top of the list.

Some smaller shops might import half a dozen here and there, but that will be it. If you want one buy it overseas and import it yourself. It isn't that hard and it's a case of do it now before the $1000 rule disappears.

R
Metradio

Post by Metradio »

In the UK we are doing quite well with the Whistler and Uniden digital capable scanners, there is a main importer for each make and about eight sizable dealers selling both makes. Whistler at the moment is better supported because the importer, Moonraker, are listening to customers and talking to Whistler..

The Uniden UBCD3600XLT, a European 436, has just been released in the UK, very little technical detail is available the only detail the dealers put out is copied from the spec page of the user manual, it is questions like "how long to fully charge batteries ?", no idea - the manual does not say so we are having to play around with trial and error to find out..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

railscan wrote:
tanger32au wrote:Any ideas when these will be for sale in Australia? I am going to be in the market for a new scanner very soon.
At a guess - never. If Whistler can be bothered to setup here, being the only exception.
'Never' is a very final word. There are comments on other social media with growing whispers from importers suggest that 'very shortly' the TRX-1 will be offered here for sub AU$600. Should be known in the short term if that comes to fruition, and if that price is accurate. It would somewhat explain the implementation of the AU bandplan (as noted by others).

With DMR and NXDN as standard the Whistler would be leagues ahead of the Uniden equivalent if made available locally at a reasonable price. Competition can only better the hobby for us.
comport1

Post by comport1 »

Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone has imported the TRX-2 yet? I'm very keen on getting one, just want to know if anyone has yet, and what do they think of the unit....

I see many positive reviews on it and little negativity, so seems like the go! I've always had Uniden but doesn't hurt to try the others....

Cheers
Comport1
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I have just installed the latest firmware update on my TRX-1 and find that Whistler have removed the Australian band plan...

I have sent an email to Whistler. I'm hoping they respond and the band plan be reinstated in due course...
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

So it's not just me. Thought I was going crazy, or rather crazier.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

I have received a reply from Whistler re my email.
They advise that they will look into my report re missing AU bandplan from the latest firmware update.
Air493

Post by Air493 »

I just shot them an email as well. I think the more AU users that contact them, the more likely they are to look at the Australian market.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Certainly won't do any harm. It may encourage them to have a look at a map and see where we are!...