SES Switching To Digital

SunnybankScan

SES Switching To Digital

Post by SunnybankScan »

Not 100% on all the details. Maybe some other members can confirm more.

My Groups SES vehicles has just been installed with the new Icom IC-F5063 / IC-F6063 radios. Which are the Conventional / LTR / Digital - Multi-Mode Professional Mobile radios.

(Digital 6.25kH) - Not sure if they are APCO 25

I don't think we will be getting the new IC-F3063 / IC-F4063 series radios for another 25 years which are LTR / Conventional / Digital - Multi-Mode Land Mobile.

Im assuming they will keep them conventional until they roll the radios out accross Queensland (All of SES) which im sure by this time, the world would of ended by then anyway... But yeah
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
fire_rescue

Re: SES Switching To Digital

Post by fire_rescue »

i know with brisbane city council going digital encrytped ses were to get one of those radios, dont know why ses would go digital see no reason and cost for it
Comint

Post by Comint »

SunnybankScan wrote: My Groups SES vehicles has just been installed with the new Icom IC-F5063 / IC-F6063 radios. Which are the Conventional / LTR / Digital - Multi-Mode Professional Mobile radios.
IC-F5063 is 136 - 174 MHz, and IC-F6063 is 400 - 470 MHz, so I presume your vehicles are fitted with the IC-F6063.
(Digital 6.25kH) - Not sure if they are APCO 25
The radios are only "Digital Ready", and require the optional UT-119H digital card for digital operation. The card uses the AMBE+2 codec, whereas APCO25 uses the IMBE codec/vocoder.
I don't think we will be getting the new IC-F3063 / IC-F4063 series radios for another 25 years which are LTR / Conventional / Digital - Multi-Mode Land Mobile.
The IC-F3063 / IC-F4063 are the hand-held companions of the IC-F5063 / IC-F6063.
Im assuming they will keep them conventional until they roll the radios out accross Queensland (All of SES) which im sure by this time, the world would of ended by then anyway... But yeah
Seeing SES have only adopted a standardised block of frequencies in the last couple of years, I am inclined to agree with you.
fire_rescue wrote:i know with brisbane city council going digital encrytped ses were to get one of those radios, dont know why ses would go digital see no reason and cost for it
Digital means 'digitised Voice' and not necessarily 'encryption'. Countries around the world are running out of available radio-frequency spectrum (channels), and Australia is no different. Going digital will, at least, double the number of channels available (from 12.5 KHz spacing to 6.25 KHz spacing). In the 1950s, the channel spacing was 120 KHz, then it was reduced to 60 KHz. When it came time to reduce it to 30KHz, it was decided, on technical grounds, to instead change the spacing to 25 KHz, and now we move on from there.

As for the SES getting BCC digital encrypted radios (800 MHz TETRA Trunked Radio), I suspect they would only be for liaison purposes between the Heads of the various organisations, that are members of the Brisbane Disaster Plan (DISPLAN), and not for the 'rank and file' workers out in the field.

--
Comint
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

I dont think its about the need for digital. I thinks is the need for a more reliable communications system for SES considering ours is extreamly poor at the moment.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

GME 3440, Philips PRM8030, Tait 2020, Motorola GP328, Motorola XTS5000, UBCD996T, UBC780XLT, UBCT8, 72XLT, UH078sx, UH075, UH088, PRO530XL, Atlantis 250
Comint

Post by Comint »

SunnybankScan wrote:I thinks is the need for a more reliable communications system for SES considering ours is extreamly poor at the moment.
Oh, I agree. Up until a few years ago (maybe 5 to 10) the local council was responsible for the primary support of the local SES Unit, so it was a real hotch-potch of frequencies, with some SES Units using the old QPS channels 31, 32, and 33. Some were using 168 MHz frequencies, and some were even using the regular Council frequencies. Not good when having to work with Units from other areas.

Bear in mind that any major change, such as narrower spacing (6.25KHz), or the introduction of the standardised frequencies or radios, won't happen overnight, and may take up to 10 to 15 years to fully implement. So, at least your new radios are a step in the right direction.

Furthermore, I understand that some regions already have solar powered portable repeaters, which can be deployed into areas requiring assistance in the aftermarth of severe storms, strong winds, etc. so things are slowly improving.

--
Comint
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Yeah your right.

On a different note, we are slowly making the change from BCC to EMQ aswell, which will apparently result in SES groups being kicked out of their current depots plus the introduction of four more groups (info from senior officers) everything we own is council property. So its all happening
Cheers
SunnybankScan

fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

not good being kicked out of depots u think council would support u in using they stuff, as for comms side of things i think they need a real boost with comms
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Hello all

I would just like to apologise for providing you with incorrect information. I am now able to confirm the exact radio system and the radios that SES Brisbane will be using.

SES Brisbane Groups will receive 10 Motorola MPT850 Handhelds each, which we currently only have 2 that are being tested. Mobile radios are the Motorola MTM800 which will be fitted to all Brisbane SES vehicles.

The system will be the Motorola's TETRA Digital Truncked Network.

I had a chance to use these for New Years; it’s a very reliable system with great voice clarity and outstanding range. The radios are provided to us by Brisbane City Council, and we will be using their current network for coverage, including the GPS tracking function and the ability to make phone calls from these radios.

Motorola MPT850 Handheld: http://www.motorola.com/business/XA-EN/ ... 06b00aRCRD

Motorola MTM800: http://www.motorola.com/business/XA-EN/ ... 06b00aRCRD

http://www.motorola.com/Business/XA-EN/ ... -+Business
Cheers
SunnybankScan

Comint

Post by Comint »

SunnybankScan wrote:SES Brisbane Groups will receive 10 Motorola MPT850 Handhelds each, which we currently only have 2 that are being tested. Mobile radios are the Motorola MTM800 which will be fitted to all Brisbane SES vehicles.

The system will be the Motorola's TETRA Digital Truncked Network.
SunnybankScan.

Thanks for that update.

Should be an interesting scenario when having to work with Groups from outside the Brisbane area. So much for interoperability.

While it is a TETRA trunked network, Motorola refer to it as their Zeon Digital Network.

--
Comint
SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

Oh ok

Yeah, Groups out of Brisbane won't be getting the new radios. So we are still keeping the old Icoms
Cheers
SunnybankScan

SunnybankScan

Post by SunnybankScan »

SES Brisbane has officially switched to the TETRA Radio Network. The old UHF radios will now only be used when required to liase with out of area SES groups.

I used the MTP850 on Monday night, tested the GPS function, mobile phone function, and selcall capabilities. All work flawlessly. SES Groups and HQ will soon have access to the network computer systems which will allow base/HQ to see where each unit is and can dispatch assistance when the distress button is activated.
Cheers
SunnybankScan

Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

SunnybankScan wrote:SES Brisbane has officially switched to the TETRA Radio Network. The old UHF radios will now only be used when required to liase with out of area SES groups.

I used the MTP850 on Monday night, tested the GPS function, mobile phone function, and selcall capabilities. All work flawlessly. SES Groups and HQ will soon have access to the network computer systems which will allow base/HQ to see where each unit is and can dispatch assistance when the distress button is activated.

Better quality I assume
Mitch Rogers