GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Queensland, covering Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Rockhampton etc
griffonboi

Re: GWN UN-MONITORABLE

Post by griffonboi »

Hey guys,

My friend found this old recording on his phone from 2021, sounds like unencrypted QPS on P25?? There were Golf (Gold Coast) units responding to a stolen vehicle at movieworld

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... US_p25.m4a
Kazzaw
Forum Manager

Post by Kazzaw »

Your friend is pulling your leg. That’s audio from a YouTube video released by Police Vision Australia on YouTube - https://youtu.be/EI6Jamzuti4
griffonboi

Post by griffonboi »

Lol that explains it, thanks for finding the vid

Edit: just watched it and some scenes have Radio ID, alias and callsign displayed. Didn't think the police would just give that away to the public, but good on them I guess!
Btw my friend reckons he saw this from another source and not police vision... but it jogged his memory a little.
peaman

Post by peaman »

Yes, the QLD GWN is encrypted for all QLD services that subscribe to it BUT any NSW services that use the QLD GWN will TX/RX in the CLEAR so you will still be able to hear them, unencrypted!

That being said, you'll have to be monitoring the same QLD GWN site that the NSW vehicle is affiliated to at the time. The other thing to note is that unencrypted transmissions from NSW services will be few and far between. Personally, I wouldn't invest in a digital scanner just to use in the "off chance" I might hear some NSW radio traffic on the QLD GWN "one day". Although for some people the QLD GWN may be worth monitoring (like TV news services etc) as they may hear emergency services from NSW responding to jobs in QLD during times of Mutual Aid (natural disaster etc).

On a day to day basis, the main NSW service that would utilise the QLD GWN is the NSW Ambulance Service. They transport NSW patients to hospitals on the Gold Coast and Brisbane on a regular basis. Theoretically, you'd be able to "follow" them up and down the coast on the QLD GWN during their trips as their radio would affiliate to each GWN site as it was travelling. ASNSW still have a UHF analog repeater on Mount Cootha which was linked into the Northern NSW PMR network. I believe this repeater is still regularly transmitting a Vote Heartbeat but I'm unsure if there's any voice traffic on it these days as they are now using the QLD GWN.

When required, FRNSW deliver Mutual Aid into the southern most areas of the Gold Coast on behalf of QFES so you may also hear them on the GWN from time to time responding to jobs around Coolangatta etc (if they are out of range of the NSW PSN sites). NSW SES might also be heard "in the clear" on the QLD GWN during large incidents within QLD requiring Mutual Aid from interstate.

Note that like the NSW PSN, the GWN infrastructure itself is not encrypted (ie the cell towers). Encryption is actually driven by the radios that are affiliated to it.

I'm located down near Tweed Heads and I monitor trunked sites from both the NSW PSN and the QLD GWN. Within the last 6 months or so, I've heard radio techs from NSW emergency services operating on the QLD GWN doing radio checks from various locations on the Gold Coast. During these radio checks I've managed to switch systems and catch the exact same user on a NSW PSN TG as they drove up into Brisbane itself (transmitting via the QLD GWN and calling out their location as it changed). To this date that is the only unencrypted radio traffic I've heard on the QLD GWN.

Cheers