Standard Aerial Preformance

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
tanger32au

Standard Aerial Preformance

Post by tanger32au »

Hi.

I have very recently purchased a UBCD436-PT and have noticed the standard aerial is VERY poor at picking up signals, has anybody else also noticed this?

I programmed in about 350 VHF / UHF frequencies plus three 800MHz EDACS sites and was not able to hear very much, to the point that I thought the radio was faulty, I swapped over to another aerial, with the radio in the same location it now works much better and how I would expect. I know that handheld aerials are a compromise but is the standard one really THAT bad?
Newy1234

Re: Standard Aerial Preformance

Post by Newy1234 »

In my experience, yes they are bad. Def on Uniden handhelds.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Standard aerials do lack performance but all seem to have a 'sweet spot'. Some perform ok on VHF and others on UHF. It's a never ending quest to try and find the right antenna. Obviously one designed for the frequency range you are listening to should give good results. I find a dual band antenna (144-438 Mhz) to be a general good all round performer.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Yep, pretty bad is my experiences too.

Then, I got a custom made and tuned aerial from Mobile One.
(I'm not sponsored by then, I just think that make some great pieces of kit :D )
Got the BNCVAR, tuned to 165 meg, which is around about where most of my general listening is.
It seems to work pretty well on 477 CB too. :P
Couldn't be happier.