No 27Mhz Propergation?

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
vkcpolice

No 27Mhz Propergation?

Post by vkcpolice »

Is it just me or has there been no skip at all on the 27mhz cb band ive been turning my radio on for the last 6 months several times a day and have heard little or nothing. anyone else made any recent contacts in Victoria? Legal contacts that is. sick of people telling me i get no propagation cause i dont use a linear and break the law like the rest of Melbourne.
xtl-kindaguy

Re: No 27Mhz Propergation?

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

I have been wanting what the go is as well, i can't get any skip what so ever. VKCPOLICE, have a look at this site
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus.html
This is what i look at for skip but nothing yet!
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

thx im glad it was not only me ive been changing between about 3 antennas as i thought it was my setup as ive moved house but nothing not even any skip from Hawaii on AM 4 6 or 11 :(
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Propagation :-)
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

its probably because the Queensland government outlawed it and told it to be encrypted... :lol:
xtl-kindaguy

Post by xtl-kindaguy »

Cally460 wrote:its probably because the Queensland government outlawed it and told it to be encrypted... :lol:
27MHz isn't run through a network so hows it encrypted?
Cally460

Post by Cally460 »

Joke Joyce.....
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Yes, the correct spelling is propAgation, the previous comment was obviously a joke, but the answer to your question is the the sun hasn't been working its magic of late, and will probably continue to so for some time yet . The solar cycle is in a decline, which reduces the maximum usable frequency, and there appears to be an increase in solar storms and flares, which knock out radio, especially he higher end of the HF band, heck, a good solar storm can knock just about everything out. Linear amplifiers do not make propagation, they just give out a stronger signal to be refracted from the ionosphere.

However, there is an old amateur radio axiom which you should apply. Often times you can't hear anyone because no one can hear anyone else. Put a call out and see what comes back. I have done this often on 20, 15 and 10mx. The one I remember the most was a chap in Victoria told me that there was no propagation, so why did I call? I was talking to him from Queensland, wasn't I?
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Its picked up a fair bit at the moment been talking all round oz on 12 watts PPE on my station master that just bolted to a metal stake in the ground on about 19-20 feet of the ground nothing beats the sation master except annoying power stations that go right over me
Phantom
Forum Manager

No 27Mhz Propergation?

Post by Phantom »

vkcpolice wrote:.. talking all round oz on 12 watts PPE ...
PPE?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

It's P E P.