Programming Baofeng Handheld GT-3TP Problem

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
WarrenSRM9000

Post by WarrenSRM9000 »

Got one of these for Xmas, with programming cable etc.

Installed driver and program, though the driver is not recognized on my windows 8 computer.

Comes up with ERROR 10.

Tried all the stuff on internet, that it says to do, to try and fix it and still wont work.

I tried it also on windows 7 laptop - the driver is ok, but the programming software still wont read.

anyone got any proven remedies ?

and or suggestions..........
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Programming Baofeng Handheld GT-3TP Problem

Post by Phantom »

Tried downloading the latest version from the manufacturers website?
WarrenSRM9000

Post by WarrenSRM9000 »

I have done everything.
latest driver, latest CHIRP program, daily build as recommended for this radio.

still nothing.......
vk3fwdt
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Unfortunately, the cables supplied use a copy of a very old model of the Prolific chip, and it won't work on windows 8. You could download a new driver, but it won't work with this chip. You'll need to get a genuine prolific USB to serial adaptor, and then a lead wired for your radio. This goes for any of these radios. been there, don't that.
WarrenSRM9000

Post by WarrenSRM9000 »

Vkfour wrote:Unfortunately, the cables supplied use a copy of a very old model of the Prolific chip, and it won't work on windows 8. You could download a new driver, but it won't work with this chip. You'll need to get a genuine prolific USB to serial adaptor, and then a lead wired for your radio. This goes for any of these radios. been there, don't that.

Well if you know where I can get that cable, it would help please.

Dont say Amazon, because i tried there and they dont deliver to My address !!??

The cable that came with radio is meant to be Original Cable, as stated in its description.

This is what the cable looks like ( with Radio ) (Ebay )
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311218418481 ... 1497.l2649

Also, What is the Cable called ? ( Serial Numbers, etc )

Thanks Vkfour :mrgreen:
vk3fwdt
Comint

Post by Comint »

WarrenSRM9000 wrote: Also, What is the Cable called ? ( Serial Numbers, etc )
Unfortunately, most of the supplied cables are generic "no-name" cables, and the dealers have no idea what chipset is used in them.

There are a lot of cables, out there, with counterfeit Prolific chipsets, so it is best to look for a cable with an FTDI chipset, although there have been some counterfeits there too.

A general "Rule of Thumb" is that if it costs less than about US$16.00 then it is unlikely to have a genuine chipset.

--
Comint
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

If you still cant program on the computer, you can always manually program the freqs in the radio and name the channels.
WarrenSRM9000

Post by WarrenSRM9000 »

Found this site on Net, American Site but the only one I could find with cable to suit ( I HOPE), as I have ordered it.

NOTE : They may contact you for more money for delivery from actual advertised shipping price to Australia ( as they did to me )

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... K1-UF.aspx
vk3fwdt
redstar

Post by redstar »

I just bought a uv-5r for laugh and I'm laughing all the way to the bank. I though this would be a peice of crap but alas it's not a bad radio. I programmed the uhf cb channels into it and from all reports tx audio and signal is good and in my opinion rx is all good too. In fact on receive, side by side with my uniden handheld scanner it wins out. I programmed it via the internal menu system with no drama. For duplex operation you need to set the offset, tell it if the offset is + or - and enter the input and output frequencies to memory and you're done. Maybe they are not the very best handheld on the market but they are usable with outstanding results for the cash. I'll hopefully have my foundation licence next month so I will look forward to seeing how it performs on 2m then.

Good luck with the programming.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Good luck with the venture into the Foundation. Keep us updated with your progress.

The Baofengs, for what they are priced at, are ok. A few problems with audio and DTMF issues have been reported, but for general use on the ham bands, numerous people have reported success with them.

Don't forget to lock them down as the ACMA are cracking down on these things some interference some people are causing

General RX, people have also mentioned they are quite good.
redstar

Post by redstar »

Thanks for wishing me luck with the licensing. I will keep you guys up to date with my progress.

It is a shame that people make nuisances of themselves on the air, and when they are interfering with police and emergency services that can't be a good thing. In the interests of fair play I will look into locking out frequencies that are not for public or amatuer use and certainly won't be attempting to transmit on the amateur bands until I'm licensed to do do so and will not under any circumstances be transmitting on police or emergency service frequencies. Why anyone would need to is beyond me.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

redstar wrote:In the interests of fair play I will look into locking out frequencies that are not for public or amatuer use and certainly won't be attempting to transmit on the amateur bands until I'm licensed to do do so and will not under any circumstances be transmitting on police or emergency service frequencies. Why anyone would need to is beyond me.
The Baofeng is not approved for UHF CB use either, or likely any commercial use in Australia. Unless you are an amateur it can't really be used for anything short of a receiver.
redstar

Post by redstar »

I'll take that under advisment. I really don't have a huge interest in the cb bands. I had transceives for both many years ago, but I'm really only looking to operate on the amateur bands going forward. It is difficult to make any sort of quality contact on chook band, always was. I wanted to test the unit so I did so briefly on the uhf cb band. I'm not looking to challenge the law, just wanted an entry level unit for future use on 2 and 70. Thanks for your input about the legality.
WarrenSRM9000

Post by WarrenSRM9000 »

Foundation license is easy to obtain - Of course you will need to get the Foundation license manual and covers all the stuff taught in class. Best to get it atleast a month before course.
vk3fwdt
redstar

Post by redstar »

I said I'd keep you posted on my progress on the foundation licence. I'm happy to say I passed and I'm just waiting for the wia and acma to receive my callsign etc.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Congrats!