programmable radio for car

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
m450n
Newly Registered Users

programmable radio for car

Post by m450n »

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to purchase a UH CB for my vehicle but I need some of your expert advice.

Is there a CB that can be programmed to transmit on other channels than the CBRS?
I need to be able to program another channel that can transmit on our private license in the 474-480MHz range.

Does anyone know of any good radios that I could purchase for this sort of application as well as having the citizen bands?

Thanks! :D
peteramjet

Re: programmable radio for car

Post by peteramjet »

There are a number of two way radios available that are approved for UHF CB and can be programmed with other licenced frequencies that you require. Off the top of my head the following may suit you:

- GME TX3600/3800 series
- Tait TM8200 series
- Vertex VX4600 series
- Icom IC400PRO
- Benelec BL2000

I'm not aware of any Moto or Simoco commercial radios that are approved for UHF CB.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What radios do you currently use for your private license/frequency?
m450n
Newly Registered Users

Post by m450n »

Currently use handheld Wouxons.
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

With this Motorola radio you can program uhf cb 5w which is the legal limit for uhf cb and you personal freq say, you might have it running on 25w
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Xstream003 wrote:With this Motorola radio you can program uhf cb 5w which is the legal limit for uhf cb and you personal freq say, you might have it running on 25w
Unfortunately that Motorola isn't approved for CB use, even at 5w, so doesn't really meet his needs.

I don't know of any Moto radios that are type approved for UHF CBRS use.
m450n wrote:Currently use handheld Wouxons.
I don't believe the Wouxon's handhelds would be approved for what you are using them for either. Didn't think they could be used for anything but amateur use.
Comint

Post by Comint »

peteramjet wrote:I don't believe the Wouxon's handhelds would be approved for what you are using them for either. Didn't think they could be used for anything but amateur use.
I am of the same belief. Certainly NOT approved for Commercial use.

--
Comint
Xstream003

Post by Xstream003 »

I would have the wouxon would be not allowed, that can allow access to almost any freq uhf or vhf.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Xstream003 wrote:I would have the wouxon would be not allowed, that can allow access to almost any freq uhf or vhf.
It's not that it can cover so many frequencies, there are approved dual band commercial radios available that will do this. It's that they never sought to be approved for use in Australia. Most of the cheaper 'eBay' type radios can't be used in Australia, except by licensed amateurs on amateur frequencies.

And back to the OP :D I can't think of any additional suitable radios from those in my first post, aside from maybe Kenwood, but I don't know if these are approved for CB use. In my mind I would rate them as follows:

- Tait TM8200 series (well supported and plenty of mic/or remote head options).
- GME TX3600/3800 series (well supported and plenty of mic/or remote head options).
- Icom IC400PRO (well supported, but no remote options).
- Benelec BL2000 (not as well supported, no remote options).
- Vertex VX4600 series (not as well supported, no remote options).

Stick with one of these and you won't have any issues.