Firefighters forced to use Melways to find emergency scenes

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
turbine_prop

Firefighters forced to use Melways to find emergency scenes

Post by turbine_prop »

Interesting article considering the Police get what ever they whant when ever they want it

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/firef ... 1rtwz.html

Regards
Wayne Pryor
Waykat Services
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
michael
Administrator

Re: Firefighters forced to use Melways to find emergency sce

Post by michael »

the $63 map book for directions during emergency call-outs is contributing to a blow-out in response times and could endanger lives and property
I will start by saying that if the technology is there, let them have access to it.

When I read the article you linked us to I completely disagree how they have put the blame of a blow out in response times onto a $63 map book (and local knowledge) that they have used and relied on for many many years without any real issue, suddenly they have decided that they want the technology and are putting the blame on something other than the real issue.

There are few examples of where the Melways and local knowledge out perform GPS technology, but to stay on topic I'll leave it there.. :)

Cheers
turbine_prop

Re: Firefighters forced to use Melways to find emergency sce

Post by turbine_prop »

hwpau wrote:
the $63 map book for directions during emergency call-outs is contributing to a blow-out in response times and could endanger lives and property
I will start by saying that if the technology is there, let them have access to it.

When I read the article you linked us to I completely disagree how they have put the blame of a blow out in response times onto a $63 map book (and local knowledge) that they have used and relied on for many many years without any real issue, suddenly they have decided that they want the technology and are putting the blame on something other than the real issue.

There are few examples of where the Melways and local knowledge out perform GPS technology, but to stay on topic I'll leave it there.. :)

Cheers
The taxi industry have been using GPS mapping technology for years with great success it can't cost that much, I can see their ( The MFB's ) point of view though if the other 2 x emergency services have it then why shouldn't they have it as well there seems to be hundreds of millions of dollars for other needless promises in the lead up this this state election we have all just got to hope that the little bit of listening pleasure that we have left continues for a bit longer, every day it continues is a blessing.

Interesting I was contacted by a reporter from a well known national media organization that had read one of my posts about the wish wash muddle of emergency service communications that In have written about in the past I was to busy to talk to him.

Interesting the amount of money that both sides of politics that throwing around in empty promises in the lead up to this state election that could have fixed all the emergency service communications in this state 10 x times over all be some might say we don't really want them to fix it because that just might be the end of the little bit of listening pleasure that we have left, every day that it continues is a blessing in my eyes.

Regards
Wayne Pryor
Waykat Services
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne