Icom f6061

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
N1cko

Icom f6061

Post by N1cko »

Hi first time post I'm not really up with the high tec side of uhf and frequencies, just after some opinions and help please.

I have an in car icom f6061 it sends really well but receives scratchy. ( others 4wd's with same antennas and radios receive the msg just fine but mine is always scratchy) also I have an in car uniden radio running a large white f/glass antenna that is located on the same side of the bullbar as the icom's antenna. ( Also doesnt make a difference if i switch the uniden off to stop its arial absorbing the other frequency) All my radio work is done within the Victorian high country and generally most is out of sight communication.

As you can see I probably have no idea but in need of some help thanks again
N1cko

Re: Icom f6061

Post by N1cko »

And my question is what antenna is best suited to my icom?
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

N1cko wrote:And my question is what antenna is best suited to my icom?
What frequency are you using? "Noise" can be attributed to alot of things, especially the engine if you are operating HF. Could be your microphone, your transceiver.. Your problem may not be the antenna at all.

All that said, antenna length is dependent on the frequency. And whether I'd advise a 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8 (rare) wave antenna depends on your frequency. eg I wouldn't recommend a 1/2 wave antenna if you are operating VHF. Should you be using a 1/4 antenna then grounding would become another factor to take into consideration.

Finally, all I've said above is geared towards TX. However, if you can have an antenna that transmits fine your RX will be even better.
N1cko

Post by N1cko »

Ok so I have purchased a RFI antenna to meet my private channel frequency. Will see if this works if not does anyone know or know of anyone in east suburbs melb that can test my icom?
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

How's it working with the new antenna?
N1cko

Post by N1cko »

No I don't think it made a difference. Now to pull it out and have someone look at it... I have been told AA radio in Vermont is ok to take it too. ( Also they are close to me) Any recommendations? Thanks again
N1cko

Post by N1cko »

Found the problem with the programming automatically setting squaltch to 9 which is max. Turned it down to 2 and is way way better now. Anyone know what tight squaltch means?? That also is set at 9 so abit of playing and I recon I can go better
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

It is probably SQUELCH ... not squaltch
Tight squelch is probably that - (very high squelch setting) where is hardly lets thru any signals that are not very strong (as heard by the receiver)

Might want to read up and get an understanding on what you are actually setting :roll: - especially on a radio that is not a basic radio