GRN Scanning

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for New South Wales, covering Sydney, Riverina, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven etc
panrid67

GRN Scanning

Post by panrid67 »

Hi all,

I’m currently listening to the GRN off the Horsley Park tower which I get full reception from.

Despite my full reception I still miss out on some transmissions as they come through for some reason. I’ve noticed that for some transmissions my scanner says P25 and whenever it says this the transmissions are clear however sometimes it says LNK and this appears to be the times I am missing transmissions. Does anyone know what issue this is?

Cheers,
peteramjet

GRN Scanning

Post by peteramjet »

What scanner are you using and on what talkgroups is this happening?

Sounds like what happens when Uniden scanners stop on encrypted talkgroups, find they can’t decode them, then move on in the scan process.

Some GRN sites are now operating in Phase 2 as well. Not sure about the Horsley Park site, but that may also result in missed transmissions, depending on what scanner you are using.
panrid67

Re: GRN Scanning

Post by panrid67 »

Thanks for the reply.

I’m using a Uniden UBCD396T. I generally don’t scan through talkgroups I just have one talkgroup held at a time. I’ve noticed it happens on the Ambulance and FRNSW talkgroups I listen to which are 10331 and 10105.

Cheers
peteramjet

GRN Scanning

Post by peteramjet »

Neither of those are encrypted, so that theory is out.

You may be getting intermittent interference on the CC data, which is causing a decode failure. Could also be caused by close call being on. Also consider checking your P25 Threshold settings as well, to make sure they are not wildly out.

I have noticed myself with the FB talkgroups that when they patch several channels together some transmissions are missed. Generally this is the country units, but occasionally metro units as well.

The 396T won’t do Phase 2 either, so eventually you will need to upgrade.
panrid67

Post by panrid67 »

Thanks for your help.

Any idea what the decode threshold settings should be? I know how to set them but no idea what the correct setting is.
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Some sites are starting to use phase 2 now .
peteramjet

GRN Scanning

Post by peteramjet »

panrid67 wrote:Any idea what the decode threshold settings should be? I know how to set them but no idea what the correct setting is.
It’s been a while since I used a 396T, but from memory I simply left it on auto. I think I found some changes to the default settings made it decode worse - possibly because settings in 396T are radio wide and not site wide - that may need to be confirmed.

May be worth checking yourself, especially if only monitoring the one site. There are some details in the link below on how to use the scanner to determine the best settings.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.p ... adjustment
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

There is also a post in this thread that mentions threshold settings for the 396T:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... ost-544568
panrid67

Post by panrid67 »

Thanks a lot for the responses. I’ll give it a go and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers.