Using a Codan 9350 with a receiver

New forum added due to popular demand, discuss all facets of shortwave radio (long distance transmission) here
lolbananalol2

Using a Codan 9350 with a receiver

Post by lolbananalol2 »

Would it be possible to use the Codan 9350 as a receiving antenna for my Tecsun S2000 or PL-880?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VK3RX

Re: Using a Codan 9350 with a receiver

Post by VK3RX »

Possible, but not very efficient :)

Without RF going into the 9350, you couldn't tune it to a wanted frequency. In any case, the whip portion is the antenna; what is inside the black portion is largely the tuning components and motor. In short, the antenna isn't very long. Better than nothing if you have no choice though -

For those radios you would get far better reception with a long wire, dipole or loop like the Sony AN series.
lolbananalol2

Post by lolbananalol2 »

VK3RX wrote:Possible, but not very efficient :)

Without RF going into the 9350, you couldn't tune it to a wanted frequency. In any case, the whip portion is the antenna; what is inside the black portion is largely the tuning components and motor. In short, the antenna isn't very long. Better than nothing if you have no choice though -

For those radios you would get far better reception with a long wire, dipole or loop like the Sony AN series.
Thanks. I want to be able to receive the police HF network which I can't do with the antenna that came with my PL-880. What sort of reception would I get with a Wellbrook ALA1530LNP? Also would be a decent antenna for the car since I'm going to Queensland in a couple of weeks for a holiday and I want to be able to listen to shortwave in the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VK3RX

Post by VK3RX »

Not sure how active the HF police networks are, to hear much. It's used fairly extensively in W.A. but I don't know about elsewhere. Others here may know more. In Victoria at least I think they use a HF ALE system.

You could try listening to the HF 4WD networks skeds to gauge reception with various antennas.

Example: the Australian HF touring club has a sked nightly during the touring season as follows:

1700 EST Channel 83 11407kHz
1715 EST Channel 82 7999kHz
1730 EST Channel 81 6820kHz
1745 EST Channel 80 5264kHz

Not sure how those portable radios would work while mobile, irrespective of antenna. They tend not to have much noise (e.g. impulse) suppression, unlike gear designed for mobile use. They'd be fine when you pull up somewhere and string up a piece of wire.