Gippsland police chase: illegal broadcaster interrupts radio

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
nirvana

Re: Gippsland police chase: illegal broadcaster interrupts r

Post by nirvana »

Thanks for that Michael.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Let's hope there are less paranoid ill-informed people that are part of it.
Im more informed than you are buddy!

your nuts if you want to live in a police state and want the government to control its peoples every move and take our freedom of information away from us.

after all the posts i see of you abusing people on this formon and endorsing encryption makes me think you are a cop
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

More informed huh? Yeah, okay.

If you call my challenging those who dribble rot, can't back up their rants with valid facts and not assumptions and not putting up with your whiny BS abusive, then yes, that is what I am, abusive.

Sleep well knowing I am not 'a cop'. Otherwise I would come and steal your freedom of information! Grrr!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Righto lads, back on topic eh? Can we play nice?

One thing is for sure, this kind of interference will speed up the fact that the network will be secured/encrypted sooner than anticipated - one will be able to listen in soon.
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

A few of us in gippsland need to start listening to the input frequencies to try an get a location on this person
The Guy Could be on the other side of the state...
lysp

Post by lysp »

He's back broadcasting on Q1/Q2 just now.

Playing loud music over and anti-police rap.

(During an air/water search and rescue).
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

[ANGRY FACE]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Lysp,

Did you hear the arrest that took place shortly after? Was this in relation to the transmissions or was it another matter?

I heard a group of call-signs at an unknown location advising one in custody and OC spray deployed, then a few other senior call-signs advising they were en-route to the location. Just couldn't tell if it was related to this topic.
IanG3145

Post by IanG3145 »

zelthk wrote:A few of us in gippsland need to start listening to the input frequencies to try an get a location on this person
Unless you have mobile directional tracking capabilities, you're wasting your time. Some hams do what they call fox hunting with this sort of equipment but in reality, this idiot knows what he's doing and doesn't transmitt long enough or often enough.

I'll be he wouldn't like it if someone terminated his ambulance ride. :evil:
soundsdifferent
Newly Registered Users

Post by soundsdifferent »

Looks like they caught the bloke! https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/m ... nsmissions

"Victoria Police have charged a man after a number of pirate transmissions across the emergency services radio network in recent months.

The arrest forms part of a joint investigation involving the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) and Telstra.

Police executed a warrant at a residential address in Buchan this morning.

A 42-year-old Buchan man was charged with a number of offences including;

- Causing interference to transmission;

- Transmission of false information;

- Interference in relation to certain radio communications;

- And hinder police.

He has been remanded to appear at Bairnsdale Magistrates’ Court on 22 November."
lysp

Post by lysp »

IanG3145 wrote:
zelthk wrote:A few of us in gippsland need to start listening to the input frequencies to try an get a location on this person
Unless you have mobile directional tracking capabilities, you're wasting your time. Some hams do what they call fox hunting with this sort of equipment but in reality, this idiot knows what he's doing and doesn't transmitt long enough or often enough.

I'll be he wouldn't like it if someone terminated his ambulance ride. :evil:
Don't think you necessarily need a directional antenna to track these things, I read an article of how someone was able to track transmission really accurately with 3x raspberry pi ($50 computers) and 3x $20 usb dongles.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/localizing-tran ... r-dongles/

Basically as long as the clocks are in sync, the time difference between each location receiving a signal gave you the ability to triangulate - as the signal travels at around the same speed to each locator.

If it can be done with $200~ of equipment, ACMA would be able to do it too, with much more accurate equipment. They would have known which tower was picking up his broadcasts and simply installed a few transmission loggers in area and waited for a broadcast.
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Well however it was done he has been busted and will appear in the Bairnsdale Magistrates Court on November 22nd.
A 42 year old Buchan man will face a number of charges.
Simon Snorkel

Post by Simon Snorkel »

And as if by magic an article is released about the day of an ACMA inspector

http://www.criticalcomms.com.au/content ... z4w1ohkoSg
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

Update on this case . The bloke got 21 months` jail.

Here is the link to the ABC article. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-20/r ... ed/9567604
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

nirvana wrote:Update on this case . The bloke got 21 months` jail.

Here is the link to the ABC article. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-20/r ... ed/9567604
Good. Glad they caught the waste of space idiot, and glad his name is now plastered everywhere.

On a similar note, the other day I heard music playing on an RAV SMR channel whilst they were trying to communicate.
Unknown if the ESTA operator or ambulances could hear it, but it was extremely frustrating to listen to.

I wish the local hams would fox hunt these illegal transmissions on emergency service channels.
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

This type of interference will not be possible by the end of 2019 as Vicpol began the transition to digital encryrption in stages last month.