Moron with radio further eroding the hobby.

All air band scanning discussions, whether it be a bird, plane, superman, helicopter, space ship, rocket or anything else that glides through the air
Pumper_50

Moron with radio further eroding the hobby.

Post by Pumper_50 »

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33130708/ma ... ked/#page1

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Vkfour

Re: Moron with radio further eroding the hobby.

Post by Vkfour »

To make matters worse, it was reported in the Brisbane Times that, "rudimentary AMATEUR VHF amateur", equipment could be used. And further, that a lot of plane spotters carry this equipment but only receive. There was further garbage about how the information was freely available, (it has to be), and the consideration of encrypting aircraft transmissions. Yes, I know that the radio being used is probably an aviation device and that plane spotters use scanners that can't transmit, but this is the sort of false information that is being put about to the great unwashed public, and why we have to be very careful what we say, how we do it, where we do it, how obvious we make it, and how we present ourselves. You can bet that any plane spotter or anyone with a scanner near an airport will be looked upon with suspicion from here on in.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Re your last sentence. That has already started to occur.

One AFP Officer wasn't satisfied that an Icom R20 couldn't do more other than receive only at Melbourne Airport the other day.

Another chap with a scanner, unsure what model or type, had to go back and forth with the AFP for nearly an hour regarding his scanner.

It's great they're making the effort to get the fool but they need to have an idea of what they're chasing in regards to equipment.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Blake

Post by Blake »

Yeah, I absolutely couldn't believe it when THAT popped up in my twitter feed from Vicradio Zone (thanks mate).
More on it here as well:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lonew ... sk12o.html
X-Firey

Post by X-Firey »

Regards to the media... One must remember that they will never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

This problem seems to have spread across the spectrum. UHF CB in the metro area is just about rendered useless by 'carrier droppers'. Last week CFA ch 27, 54, 21 and various VHF Police channels also had the same issue... The people that commit these acts are usually the first to complain when encryption is turned on.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The problem is that anyone can import a cheap, illegal Chinese radio, look up the details, and they are in nefarious business. Not too many radios have AM though, which is what aircraft use so it is highly unlikely to be, "basic amateur equipment". I was going to have a rant about this, but I have already done so it in the past, several times. Whilst some of the people in the article appear to come from the industry and appear rather negative, not surprisingly, it is interesting to note that the Brisbane Airport Corporation has a site which advises plane spotters the best place to be, best time during the day as well as frequencies to use and tips on how to have your scanner set up and the best lenses to use. Oh, and yes, I agree about the comment on encryption.
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

I mentioned this to a co-worker who i know who is a recreational pilot and ran the cheap chinese radio theory past him. He said that aircraft radios are easy to buy and showed me the website link where you can buy a icom radio used by ground crew - for $375
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Absolutely, it has to be an aircraft radio as the others just don't have an AM facility. Some receive AM, but I haven't seen one that transmits it
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Some Freq unlocked amateur radios will do AM transmit on Airband if your stupid enough to do it .
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Thanks for sharing i never read this or saw it in the news. the person doing this could have been anywhere in the state! there foolish if they think it was a parked car near by. then again if your stupid enough to do this your stupid enough to park out the front of the airport to watch the chaos you have caused.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

scannerman wrote:the person doing this could have been anywhere in the state! there foolish if they think it was a parked car near by.
Not correct - it's essentially line of sight only. Assuming he was using a lower power handheld somewhere on the ground (as opposed to actually being in a plane in the air) he would of had to have been in close proximity to the tower and the planes he was 'directing'.
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/3329119 ... oax/#page1

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

19 year old known to ACMA and FEDS for similar offences .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dags19

Post by dags19 »

i hope they come down hard on him
Blake

Post by Blake »

Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Here's the latest on the situation ...

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... bad23ab104
dags19

Post by dags19 »

Any body hear the outcome to this yet
michael
Administrator

Post by michael »

dags19 wrote:Any body hear the outcome to this yet
He is currently out on bail, EFAS has an "application" listed for tomorrow and a further "committal mention" listing for the 27th February.

From The Age website;
He faces four charges of endangering the safety of aircraft and one count of interference likely to endanger safety or cause loss or damage.

Each offence carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment.
His lawyer, Pern Chaya, told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday that her client had been diagnosed with autism and depression, but was not on any medication.
dags19

Post by dags19 »

Thanks for that ,keep us posted
michael
Administrator

Post by michael »

dags19 wrote:Thanks for that ,keep us posted
From the news site (herald sun) today:
A MAN accused of forcing a passenger jet to abandon its landing at Melbourne Airport is disputing whether his hoax radio calls put anyone in danger.
She said she was seeking further details about each incident and safety reports filed by the pilots. “The risk assessment is unclear, in my submission,” Ms Chaya said.
Mr Sant has been previously bailed and will return to court on March 16.