VICPOL Encryption

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Victoria, covering Melbourne, the Grampians, Gippsland, Loddon Mallee etc
SteveNSWP

VICPOL Encryption

Post by SteveNSWP »

Hi guys,

Just curious about VICPOL encryption and how VICPOL channels work.

I'm from NSW and all the Police areas up here are just about ecrypted, and I understand that by 2017 the same will be said for Victora.

I was just curious which areas at the moment are encrypted and which can still be scanned? I know melbourne and t metropolitan area is encrypted and has been for sometime,but I was curious what channels are deemed Metro and what channels are still able to be scanned.

Also how do the Police Channels work in Victoria? Here there in NSW each channel will have between 2-4 commands on it. The state is broken up by regions and then there are a number of Commands in each region. I udnertsand that VICPOL have upto 5 regions and then within those regions are districts and then divisions and then staton. I was just wondering how many districts there are, and how many divisions are in a disrict, and how these are distributed across radio channels, and then which of these channels can still be scanned.

Thanks for nay replies. Just curious how it all works south of the boarder.

Steve.
vkcpolice

Re: VICPOL Encryption

Post by vkcpolice »

We have metro and all Melb outer suburbs that are encrypted all of regional Victoria uses the vhf voting network soon to be replaced by the new digital regional mobile radio network (RMR) the zones i can think of of the top of my head are P1&2 wangaratta to wall. M1&2 Ballarat region down to portland O1&2 Bendigo to romsey and i think N1&2 are all south east of the state i could be wrong but the days of listening to the police are pretty much over for the average person :P oh ande theres an l&q region too
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

so would P1 and P2 for example be two seperate channels or does P1 and P2 operate on the same channel?

Thanks heaps for the reply by the way.

Steve.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

They are separate channels but are patched majority of the time as its the same district unless theres a major event then they unpatch them into 2 separate ch's P2 is what my town is on but further up North it turns into P1 but you hear traffic from both ch's