Uniden UBCD436-PT (GWN VS GRN)

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
bagman002

Uniden UBCD436-PT (GWN VS GRN)

Post by bagman002 »

Hi AussieScanners,

Some of you may be aware of the new Uniden scanner coming soon. The model number for this scanner is UBCD436-PT, the PT within the name seems to suggest Pacific Telecommunications as this is where they will be allocated to CFA members (PDF below)

http://www.uniden.com.au/RESOURCES_MAIN ... rvices.pdf

It raises a quick question I had regarding the GRN vs GWN. From my understanding the GRN is for the most part unencrypted hence scanners like the 396XT and this new 436-PT will work.

However the GWN will be a fully encrypted network meaning even if the radio is P25 capable there will still be nothing heard other than a few chirps to indicate a encrypted frequency.

Is that correct, is there much else different between GRN and GWN?

Regards
Brent
Sold my Uniden 93XLT and now using Uniden 396XT
Radio_Australia

Re: Uniden UBCD436-PT (GWN VS GRN)

Post by Radio_Australia »

As far as I am aware you are correct , also consider if both networks are phase 1 or 2 P25 ? And that the scanner will do phase 1 and 2 for the newer networks
bagman002

Re: Uniden UBCD436-PT (GWN VS GRN)

Post by bagman002 »

I believe the GRN at this stage is Phase 1 but are moving to Phase 2 and I know that the GWN is Phase 2. I am on the Sunshine Coast (QLD) in the GWN area so I have already received training on the GWN radios (RFSQ) for the go live early next year.

If it wasn't for the GWN I would love to have this scanner since it has the instant replay like my UH8080S in my 4wd but short of that there is not enough difference to my 396XT to warrant the upgrade.
Sold my Uniden 93XLT and now using Uniden 396XT