To upgrade or not to upgrade

Discussion on Uniden technologies, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
OzPrepper
Newly Registered Users

Post by OzPrepper »

Hi All

Quick question, I currently have the Uniden UBC355 XLT set up at home with a whip on the roof but was looking at updating and getting the Uniden UBCD396 XT handheld instead.

Is it worth it or should I just stick with the desktop?

I currently have the deasktop just to listen in on what is going on with bushfires (I live in a rural area in WA) and to sit back and relax and listen in to what is going on around my area in general.

Is the UBCD396 XT capable of being plugged into my current antenna on the roof and used as a desktop while I'm home?

Appreciate the help

Chris
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Yes it can use the 396 as a base station.
You simply need an adaptor to match the antenna and the scanner.
I'm not sure what antenna plug you have on the end, but you simply need to match that to the socket on the 396

It really depends on what you want to do with the scanner.
Best setup is a base station with external antenna, but you can convert a portable scanner to a base station by connecting an external antenna.

At the end of the day, it's your choice which way to go.
Cally460

Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade

Post by Cally460 »

If your local listening preference is going digital, then this is the way to do it at low cost.
OzPrepper
Newly Registered Users

Post by OzPrepper »

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go ahead and purchase it, my current setup is only analog so at least the handheld is analog & digital.

The 396XT seems to have a lot more options than my 355XLT as well.
NightFlight

Post by NightFlight »

Hi Mate,

How much are you looking at for the 396? I have a 996t desktop (Aust version) still in the box that may be of interest to you if the price is similar.

Cheers,
NF.
OzPrepper
Newly Registered Users

Post by OzPrepper »

NightFlight wrote:Hi Mate,

How much are you looking at for the 396? I have a 996t desktop (Aust version) still in the box that may be of interest to you if the price is similar.

Cheers,
NF.
Hi

Wish I had of seen your post earlier, took the plunge and got the 396XT for $358 with free postage.