Baofeng uv-5r

Discussion on any technologies that do not fall under one of the above vendors, including programming, tutorials, schematics, requests for help and new releases etc
Forum rules
***NOTE*** This forum and its content are not endorsed in any way by the vendor and users are advised to exercise caution when viewing and/or acting on any information contained within. We accept no responsibility for your devices and strongly warn you to check your warranty conditions and seek expert advice before proceeding.
vkcpolice

Baofeng uv-5r

Post by vkcpolice »

Hi i currently have a baofeng radio that i use for the CFA and recently purchased the larger battery pack for it. i have 2 of these radios and whatever radio i use the larger battery pack in the radio will randomly open the squelch up with a horrible interference noice however if i use the normal smaller battery thats 1800mah instead of 3800mah the radio works fine. i have read up online that people have had no problems what so ever with using the larger battery's and they make the radio a lot more user friendly as it makes the radio longer and easier to use. could it just be a faulty battery? even though it holds charge perfectly. i know there a cheap radio but it does work fine with the smaller sized battery but for me the radio is just too small without the larger battery on it. does anyone have any experience with these radio's? or know of a larger cheap vhf-uhf radio that i can buy? ive looked at the wouxon and puxings and they are to small for my liking.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Baofeng uv-5r

Post by Phantom »

Why not use a scanner...?
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

he will have no choice soon as they will be completely P25 Trunked
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

We use these in the cfa to communicate on fireground ch's that are staying analogue
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

vkcpolice wrote:We use these in the cfa to communicate on fireground ch's that are staying analogue
I would be VERY careful about doing that.
"YOUNGN"
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Lol. A very appropriate picture :)

Short of some amateur use these radios are of no use in Aus. It is a shame that it is so easy for people to access them, especially when those people are willingly use them illegally.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

I would be VERY surprised to hear that the CFS actually allows people to use them. I am guessing that they probably don't know "some" people are using them on their network without their permission

If you are actually wanting to know about the battery issue, I suggest you taking the matter up with the radio techs for the network for which you are using them on. They will best be able to advise you of their requirements and as to why interference could be happening.
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Phantom wrote:I would be VERY surprised to hear that the CFS actually allows people to use them. I am guessing that they probably don't know "some" people are using them on their network without their permission.
These cheap radios don't have any approval for use on commercial frequencies in Aus, so even if the CFA did give the OP 'permission' to use the radio (which we all know wouldn't of happened) the radio still couldn't be used.
Comint

Post by Comint »

I believe you will find that the ACMA has confiscated such radios from Rural Fire Brigades in Victoria and South Australia, in recent years.

--
Comint