Vic SES SMR + UBCD396XT

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
SimoHDK

Vic SES SMR + UBCD396XT

Post by SimoHDK »

Hi All,

I recently picked up a Uniden UBCD396XT and I'm hoping to listen into the Victorian SES SMR network in Melbourne. Does anybody have a guide as to how I can go about doing so? I'm rather new to this technology.

Tried searching around but came to false ends.

Cheers,
Simo.
peteramjet

Re: Vic SES SMR + UBCD396XT

Post by peteramjet »

I understand the Vic SMR network to be a MPT1327 network. If that is the case the 396XT will not be able to track the network correctly. You will therefore have to program all frequencies from each site as conventional channels and keep hitting 'scan' until you hear the user you want to listen to. Some sites may have set frequencies that are only used by some users, which may make it easier. It's far from ideal, but unless you use a computer to follow the network I don't think there is another way.
SimoHDK

Post by SimoHDK »

Great, that's already making more sense.

I think I'll be doing both methods, firstly plugging them into the scanner and secondly running something like TrunkView?

Any ideas on where to get the list of frequencies from?
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

SimoHDK wrote:Any ideas on where to get the list of frequencies from?
I'm in NSW sorry mate, so don't have details of frequencies. My experience was from previous trips to Vic in the past. There will likely be someone here on the forum who can give you the info you are after, if it not already listed in a thread somewhere.
Comint

Post by Comint »

SimoHDK wrote:Great, that's already making more sense.

I think I'll be doing both methods, firstly plugging them into the scanner and secondly running something like TrunkView?

Any ideas on where to get the list of frequencies from?
TrunkView is the way to go.

The SMR requires a Custom Band Plan because the channel numbers don't follow the frequencies in a logical order. Channels 1 to 251 go from 164.0625 to 165.1875 in 12.5 kHz Steps, and then 165.2000 is Ch 301, and the Channels progress up from there, to Ch 364, which is 165.9875 MHz.

--
Comint
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

Hi Simohdk.

This is a link to a post Brisbanescan put up awhile ago . I hope this helps.

Nirvana

http://www.aussiescanners.com.au/forum/ ... 231&t=4071
turbine_prop

Post by turbine_prop »

I'm a huge user of Trunkview once you get it setup it's an incredible program sadly I think the developers have lost interest there so much more that they could do to it maybe Aust is the only country left left this technology.

Regards
Wayne.
Melbourne
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
Comint

Post by Comint »

turbine_prop wrote: . . maybe Aust is the only country left left this technology.
May be. But in the USA, Pacific Gas and Electricity (PG&E) has, since about mid-2013, been rolling out a new UHF MPT1327 Network in California, which will eventually cover about 100 Sites.

--
Comint
turbine_prop

Post by turbine_prop »

Comint wrote:
turbine_prop wrote: . . maybe Aust is the only country left left this technology.
May be. But in the USA, Pacific Gas and Electricity (PG&E) has, since about mid-2013, been rolling out a new UHF MPT1327 Network in California, which will eventually cover about 100 Sites.

--
Comint
Makes you wonder why Uniden in the U.S. have not brought out a scanner capable of trunk tracking MPT1327

Regards
Wayne
Melbourne.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne