New Member - CFA vol Central Vic

A place for all new members to the forum to introduce themselves, tell us a little about you, your radio experiences, and anything else relevant
Ozmoe

Post by Ozmoe »

G'day folks. New member here. Male, 46 and a CFA volunteer in Goldfields Group, Central Victoria.
Been into radios and scanning most of my life. Not heavily really, just on the periphery. Always had a UHF or CB (or both) in my cars. Introduced to comms via J.O.T.A. in the early eighties with the scouts.

Currently waiting for CFA to name a vendor to produce scanners to be available to members. Also looking for software for the IC400pro to do a couple of mods (increase to 80 channel and remember the last state it was in - so I don't have to manually turn it on every time I start the car).

Have a great day all and happy scanning!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: New Member - CFA vol Central Vic

Post by Phantom »

Welcome to the forum
Great info and intro
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

Welcome !
Last I heard was that CFA started a official stream online to Delay or even stop the purchasing of scanners
Pumper_50

Post by Pumper_50 »

Hi Radio_Australia,

The plan has always been to have online streams AND digital scanners available. The streams are not in place to delay or stop anything, they're simply another avenue of keeping informed the CFA is providing to its members, and also those in the rural community who used to use analogue scanners to keep informed of events of concern and have now lost that ability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

All good mate , I would of thought that if its a tool the CFA needs you could purchase outright and claim back on tax ?
peteramjet

Post by peteramjet »

Radio_Australia wrote:All good mate , I would of thought that if its a tool the CFA needs you could purchase outright and claim back on tax ?
I see no possible way one could claim anything 'back on tax' as a volunteer with the CFA when they don't give you an income that you pay tax on :D

And welcome to Ozmoe!
Ozmoe

Post by Ozmoe »

Radio_Australia wrote:All good mate , I would of thought that if its a tool the CFA needs you could purchase outright and claim back on tax ?
That's what it boils down to. You'll probably find that CFA don't think it's a tool we *need*. More like nice to have. Plus as mentioned, we don't derive any income (as a vol) so there is no claim that can be made.
Steamy Moose

Post by Steamy Moose »

Off track a little, do any volunteers get paid in CFA?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

I guess they really would not be 'volunteers' then, more employees
Ozmoe

Post by Ozmoe »

Steamy Moose wrote:Off track a little, do any volunteers get paid in CFA?
No. CFA is made up of

paid staff - Firefighters and "Office" people and
Volunteers (firefighters only)
Steamy Moose

Post by Steamy Moose »

In Tassie we have career firefighters, retained volunteer (paid) and volunteer. No real skill difference between retained and non retained, retained may attended more calls and a have higher risk rating within their gazetted response area