Queensland Government Wireless Network (QLD-GWN) Project

Enthusiast discussion on trunked radio networks, protocols including MPT1327, TETRA, EDACS, SMARTNET - as well as talk group ID's
Phil
Administrator

Re: Queensland Government Wireless Network (QLD-GWN) Project

Post by Phil »

from what has been indicated Toowoomba will be added eventually
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
dags19

Post by dags19 »

toowoomba as well i heard very late next year i think sorry to bring you bad news airman at least you got a bit more time then us folks in brisbane
brisescannerdude

Post by brisescannerdude »

dags19 wrote:toowoomba as well i heard very late next year i think sorry to bring you bad news airman at least you got a bit more time then us folks in brisbane
It depends - there may be a change of technology very soon which will make the need to extend some what worthless, change of govt which changes goal posts or they run out of funds to build it.

There is a move away from analog that is for sure but but technology and deployment dates are still up in the air
brisescannerdude

Cairns is interesting sites to see, radio traffic has picked up from nothing to a lot this morning

10 groups and 30 odd radios logged so far, transmissions are encrypted and some across all groups.
dags19

Post by dags19 »

Time will tell i suppose but as i said they have more time up the hill then what we have down here in brisbane
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Toowoomba will definitely be covered, same as Ipswich as well as north to Gympie.

As for traffic in Cairns, that would be for the finance meeting to be held soon.
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
Ashnm001

Post by Ashnm001 »

brisescannerdude wrote:Odd are the table waiters will be using gwn for comms back to the kitchen........
Anyone thought about where the G20 Summit is being held??
scrawn80

Post by scrawn80 »

ok so has there been any cairns tramissions
railsquad77

Post by railsquad77 »

Worked Cairns using digital motorolas no issues had crap load of different channels to play with
Radio_Australia

Post by Radio_Australia »

railsquad77 wrote:Worked Cairns using digital motorolas no issues had crap load of different channels to play with
We're these simplex -trunked-or repeater Channels ?
railsquad77

Post by railsquad77 »

Unsure to busy working to fully look there was no delay ptt
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Radio_Australia wrote:
railsquad77 wrote:Worked Cairns using digital motorolas no issues had crap load of different channels to play with
We're these simplex -trunked-or repeater Channels ?
The APX6000 have programmed:
128ch analog band plan
Brisbane digital voting
Brisbane digital special ops
State crime ops special ops channels
Voted groups for north Qld cities
all of the G20 P25 Phase II talkgroups
railsquad77 wrote:Unsure to busy working to fully look there was no delay ptt
The SEQ network has even more capacity, its gonna be awesome.
Currently have: Simoco SRM9000 (TU), Yaesu FT65, GME XRS370, GME TX6155 x 2, Icom IC400 Pro x 2, Icom IC41 Pro x 3
brisescannerdude

Are you sure it was not on a repeater freq? trunking has around 1 second delay on newer kit, it was worse on older generations of radios.

As raps said everything has been programmed into the radio expect the kitchen sink and bluetooh coffee machine addon.
Last edited by brisescannerdude on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brisescannerdude

rapps_101 wrote:
There is talk now planning has started around what the network will look like post g20 talk is the network as it stands before the g20 will be torn down after the event, thinned out capacity wise and redistributed over a greater area, now it will be interesting to see what occurs on the south side with all of the sites which have been installed.

As it currently stands police will have more time now prior to move to gwn as other technologies across all services has been deployed to take work load away from radio comms.
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

brisescannerdude wrote:
Are you sure it was not on a repeater freq? trunking has around 1 second delay on newer kit, it was worse on older generations of radios.

As raps said everything has been programmed into the radio expect the kitchen sink and bluetooh coffee machine addon.
When I had a play with them on G20 infrastructure the delay was maybe half a second before the double beep, it was very very quick
They do also have bluetooth option installed ;)
brisescannerdude wrote:
rapps_101 wrote:
There is talk now planning has started around what the network will look like post g20 talk is the network as it stands before the g20 will be torn down after the event, thinned out capacity wise and redistributed over a greater area, now it will be interesting to see what occurs on the south side with all of the sites which have been installed.

As it currently stands police will have more time now prior to move to gwn as other technologies across all services has been deployed to take work load away from radio comms.
A lot of whats in place will stay, I believe the city will be 're-jigged' a little bit to even out coverage. As far as I know QPS will be online with the GWN at the same time other agencies.
QLite won't slow down the QPS GWN uptake because:
there aren't enough iPads
calls for service can't be detailed to crews via iPad (yet)
the need for encryption ASAP
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

Further to my last, a lot of the Gold Coast hinterland sites are part of the future network, not the G20 operation.
If you compare the existing QPS network on the Gold Coast/hinterland to the new P25 infrastructure, the difference in coverage will be phenomenal.
brisescannerdude

rapps_101 wrote:Further to my last, a lot of the Gold Coast hinterland sites are part of the future network, not the G20 operation.
If you compare the existing QPS network on the Gold Coast/hinterland to the new P25 infrastructure, the difference in coverage will be phenomenal.
It is somewhat hard to compare apples with apples here, there has been no real funding of this (cops/fire/ambo) network in this state for years if not decade or two, if funding had kept pace the network would be very much better legacy system. Lets look at digital in cbd for police, it was chogum (some meeting in early 2000/late 1990) which allow funding to come through for this change to occur. Rest of the state has more or less had to make do.

The upgrades are needed but it is good to see it occur it has been long overdue.

As I understand it, the plan is to push some 40 odd roles/systems onto ipads (in this case for police) and make delivery of almost all parts of the operation better for users.

ptt delay, one would expect a quick key up in the testing phase, there is very little load in the system at this point. People have observed on other commissioned systems overseas the key up time can be up to 2 - 3 seconds depending on location of radio, site load etc.

The sites on the goldcoast area more in line with how other networks are rolled out here in Australia and overseas, if you look at the cbd alone taking into account f'valley and ascot there are 2 if not more sites which are not needed now let alone into the future but that kit can be redeployed.
rapps_101

Post by rapps_101 »

brisescannerdude wrote:
rapps_101 wrote:Further to my last, a lot of the Gold Coast hinterland sites are part of the future network, not the G20 operation.
It is somewhat hard to compare apples with apples here, there has been no real funding of this (cops/fire/ambo) network in this state for years if not decade or two, if funding had kept pace the network would be very much better legacy system. Lets look at digital in cbd for police, it was chogum (some meeting in early 2000/late 1990) which allow funding to come through for this change to occur. Rest of the state has more or less had to make do.

Yep your absolutely correct. I believe Brisbasne, Gold Coast and Ipswich haven't gained more then one - two extra sites (that I can think of at least) in the last 6-10 years

The upgrades are needed but it is good to see it occur it has been long overdue.

As I understand it, the plan is to push some 40 odd roles/systems onto ipads (in this case for police) and make delivery of almost all parts of the operation better for users.

Yeah, the issue here is that integrating it takes time. Because the GWN is outsourced there are stricter timeframes and service delivery standards to meet.

ptt delay, one would expect a quick key up in the testing phase, there is very little load in the system at this point. People have observed on other commissioned systems overseas the key up time can be up to 2 - 3 seconds depending on location of radio, site load etc.

When I was having a play with it, it was in the middle of the CBD a with about 20 other users also trying it. The real test will be in 4 weeks time when the event ramps up.

The sites on the goldcoast area more in line with how other networks are rolled out here in Australia and overseas, if you look at the cbd alone taking into account f'valley and ascot there are 2 if not more sites which are not needed now let alone into the future but that kit can be redeployed.
I agree that the CBD is very saturated, however 'in building' coverage is more important here then out in the suburbs.
brisescannerdude

rapps_101 wrote:
I agree that the CBD is very saturated, however 'in building' coverage is more important here then out in the suburbs.
Yes but still very much a gross excess in capicity if the new stays the same post g20 in the cbd
fire_rescue

Post by fire_rescue »

Some qfes trucks in Ipswich and west regions have been testing gwn atm.