UBC93XLT Query

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
NinaGeelong

UBC93XLT Query

Post by NinaGeelong »

Hi Y'all...

I'm just wondering if anyone here can tell me the approximate maximum amount I should expect to pay for a second hand UBC93XLT. Its comes with all the original accessories and box. Apparently in good condition except for a few minor scuff marks.

I know I can get one brand new for $209 from ebay.

Also are they a good scanner for the price, or is there a better unit I should be looking for in this price range?

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Nina
Nina

Current Scanners: UBCD396XT

Previous Scanners: Pro20A, UBC220XLT, PRO2035, UBC9000XLT
Phantom
Forum Manager

UBC93XLT Query

Post by Phantom »

A scanner is only good if it listens on the frequencies that you are interested.

What are you interested in listening too - then we would be able to advise you if it should be suitable for you.
NinaGeelong

Re: UBC93XLT Query

Post by NinaGeelong »

orangepeel wrote:A scanner is only good if it listens on the frequencies that you are interested.

What are you interested in listening too - then we would be able to advise you if it should be suitable for you.
Thanks for your reply.. I am aware of the available frequency bands and what I am able to listen to in those particular bands with this particular scanner.

Really, I should have added more info to my question.. the types of things I want to know include but not limited too, if anyone had used one of these before, did they notice any bugs or inadequacies in regards to things like, how clear the reception might be, or if the internal speaker is loud enough, poor display, or functionality etc etc.

I guess I could just google to find product reviews but, I don't always trust those as the review might come from somebody who has an interest in selling these things.

I'd sooner take the advice from members of a forum such as this as I feel I am more likely to get an honest answer.
Nina

rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

I think a lot of the services down your way are digital so you would need a digital scanner hopefully one of our Victoria members will jump on and read this and confirm. Hence why orangepeel is asking what you want to listen to, to see what service they are using digital / analogue / trunking / encrypted there are a lot of options and a lot of different scanners to suit.

Either way for a second hand 92xlt I wouldn't be paying anymore than $120 one was on ebay last night and ended with no bids at $140.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Hi Nina,
If you only need an analog scanner, then I recommend the 93XLT. I currently keep one in my car and find it easy to program, sensitivity is good. The Close Call feature is really handy when you want to find an unknown frequency.
I've also owned the 73XLT previously and can recommend it, too. The difference between the two models is the 73XLT has 100 channels, no 800 MHz band. The 93XLT has 200 channels and 800 MHz coverage.
They can also be easily modified for a discriminator tap :-)

Dave
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
NinaGeelong

Post by NinaGeelong »

rochedalescan wrote:I think a lot of the services down your way are digital so you would need a digital scanner hopefully one of our Victoria members will jump on and read this and confirm. Hence why orangepeel is asking what you want to listen to, to see what service they are using digital / analogue / trunking / encrypted there are a lot of options and a lot of different scanners to suit.

Either way for a second hand 92xlt I wouldn't be paying anymore than $120 one was on ebay last night and ended with no bids at $140.
Thanks Shane..

Really what I mostly want to do is be able to pick up the road channels as I spend a fair amount on the road and in the country areas, so AM CB, UHF CB & Vicpol, while I am out and about. When I am at home I like to listen to CFA and Barwon Prison, Aviation, Marine & Railways etc sometimes can be interesting.

I know I cannot tune into the police or ambo's in the metro areas as they are running on digital and are encrypted.

I have no real interest in listening to trunked systems, though that depends, what is there besides taxi's and businesses that run on these systems that I might like?

Really I just like having noise in the backround that is not music, tv, or anything that is mainstream media.

I have seen a 93XLT for $140, I'm guessing it is a later version of the 92XLT though I can't see any major differences between the two?
Nina

NinaGeelong

Post by NinaGeelong »

Scannersplitterguy wrote:Hi Nina,
If you only need an analog scanner, then I recommend the 93XLT. I currently keep one in my car and find it easy to program, sensitivity is good. The Close Call feature is really handy when you want to find an unknown frequency.
I've also owned the 73XLT previously and can recommend it, too. The difference between the two models is the 73XLT has 100 channels, no 800 MHz band. The 93XLT has 200 channels and 800 MHz coverage.
They can also be easily modified for a discriminator tap :-)

Dave
Hi Dave..

Thanks for your input. These are the sorts of things I am interested in knowing. I'm not sure about the benefits of having a discriminator tap. The UBC9000XLT I had, had that modification but I never knew what is was to be used for.
Nina

Scannersplitterguy

I have seen a 93XLT for $140, I'm guessing it is a later version of the 92XLT though I can't see any major differences between the two?
The only difference was the accessories included in the box and the label on the scanner. They are identical, otherwise.

A discriminator tap is useful if you want to decode pagers and other 'data' services.
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
NinaGeelong

Post by NinaGeelong »

Scannersplitterguy wrote:
The only difference was the accessories included in the box and the label on the scanner. They are identical, otherwise.

A discriminator tap is useful if you want to decode pagers and other 'data' services.
Ahh ok!

Thanks for pointing out the differences between those two units.

As for the discriminator mod, well to be honest I cant see me making use of it. Still its good to know I can if I ever wanted to.
Nina

Comint

Post by Comint »

NinaGeelong wrote: . . I have seen a 93XLT for $140, I'm guessing it is a later version of the 92XLT though I can't see any major differences between the two?
As far as I am aware, the 93XLT is the Australianised version of the American 92XLT.

--
Comint
NinaGeelong

Post by NinaGeelong »

Ok well after much deliberation, tonight I decided to bite the bullet, financially speaking, and I went and purchased a brand spanking new UBCD396XT from Gadget City for $380.00

I cant wait till it arrives : D
Nina

Scannersplitterguy

Well done - good choice! You will enjoy that scanner.
Phantom
Forum Manager

UBC93XLT Query

Post by Phantom »

Yup, good choice. You won't be disappointed with it... Does alot more than the 93